zombie doom

Making something for EDGE? Show it here.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

immortalundead

zombie doom

Postby immortalundead » Sun 04 Nov 2007 7:04 pm

hi everyone, i got a couple screens from my little project im working on,

this is part of the first level that ive been working on for the last couple of days, it the first city block thats about 50% done, since im still working on my custom textures (ignore the ugly yellow and purple blocks)
ive got some more screens from the other levels here
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... shadowland

what i plan is about 8 - 10 medium to large city style levels, right now im working on 6 of them, all of which are between 25-50% finished
heres so far whats done in each
level 1 - hometown - layout on paper is 75% finished and first block is done in game
level 2 - highway - ive got the basic ideas down on paper, but what im hopeing for is a long high way with tons of zombies and you have to make your way from one end to the other to try and get to the city
level 3 - small suburbs - this is much larger compaired to the hometown and has a lot more to explore, some of the screens are in the thread i linked to
level 4 - sewers and underground tunnel/subway to large city, its about 90% finished, im just waiting for the next release of edge to that i can add some md2 cars to block the way. this levels is ment to be really creepy, and mostly pitch black, and you have zombies jumping out at you alot.
level 5 - city/metropolis - this is gonna be huge, if got the basic plans for the level on paper, lots of texture sketches and ideas down, but basicly the level is gonna be swarming with zombies, theres gonna be some survivors that will help, and its gonna have the look of a wartorn city, with lots of army vehicles around.
level - 6 - mall - this one its based of the dawn of the dead mall, there are also a couple more shots in the thread i linked to, but right now im just working on the shop fronts, and filling up the shops with stuff. it takes alot of planning since im trying to make both floors totaly explorable, which means lots of sectors.
levels - 7-9 - are fighting your way outta the city and slowly towards a more desert/ highway kinda of landscape, i might shorten this tho.
level 10 - the military base were it all started. im gonna try and make this level really creepy, but keep it secret at the same time, so thats all im gonna say, just saying that its gonna be overrun and have lots of scares.

the coding for some of the weapons is about 80% done for most, some not even started, and im using cs rips, but im thinking of switching over to real photos, since ive got a couple real weapons/tools around my house i might use, and ive got some airsoft weapons to replicate the guns i cant get, such as an m4...so i might head in that direction/ and color it to also match with some of the weapons with blood/powerslave, but im not sure just yet if might do it.

anyways, those are my ideas, and i though i might get some of attention from it, and maybe i can also get some help with anything i need help with.

i do have on question, since i couldnt figure it out exactly, i might need to request this as a feature, but is it possible to set a line in edge to have a specific height? for example, in my first screens, you can see the fences in the backyards, and as of now they are impassible, but im wondering if i can set the height of it to 56. ive seen it done in strife and tormentors 'city of the damned 2'. ive done something similar in my mall level for my second story railings, but i dont wanna fill up my city level with a ton of sectors and slow the level down

anyways, those are my ideas/project, hope i didnt put anyone to sleep with my huge post!

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Sun 04 Nov 2007 9:16 pm

Hey man, sounds good to me!

If you're into Zombies+EDGE projects then check this out: http://firstgen.no-ip.com/lonely/about.htm
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Sun 04 Nov 2007 10:16 pm

how is your lonely meadows project coming along? i cant wait to try it out, and your emus really helps, gotta download ithe new version now

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Sun 04 Nov 2007 10:28 pm

Mod looks cool! Reminds me a lot of the old Zombies Doom mod from waay back when. Keep it up!

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Mon 05 Nov 2007 12:00 am

Funny, I think the really old Zombies Doom mod was by Cory Whittle...that man has a monopoly on things that are awesome...

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Mon 05 Nov 2007 1:03 am

looking good.
The only trap I can see you'd fall into is everything looking the same. But if you put the time and effort into great custom textures, you should be able to make each street or area look unique.
Good work, looks promising!

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Mon 05 Nov 2007 2:23 am

i realise there will be a little bit of similarity with these houses, but this is just the start, some of the houses have different garages, pools in backyards, stuff on the lawn, gardens and such, this is just the start of this street, and there will be more to the city, ive already got a town hall, fire department, school, and other things i hope to add. im kinda sticking to a generic design for these houses to add an old school horror kinda look, and then just adding the differences from there. a couple of the houses are explorable, ive already added more since my first posting, and there will be some little extras hidden around. i kinda wanna make it less point A to point B gaming and more of a explore kinda feel. im hoping that this will change the feel of the game entirely, because even in some of the best games.mods, it always seemed like, point A to point B gaming, though that shouldnt be taken as an insult to anyones work :lol:

Nick_Perrin

Postby Nick_Perrin » Mon 05 Nov 2007 4:28 am

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Mon 05 Nov 2007 5:08 am

Nick_Perrin

Postby Nick_Perrin » Mon 05 Nov 2007 6:08 am

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Mon 05 Nov 2007 5:34 pm

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Wed 07 Nov 2007 12:15 pm

"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Wed 07 Nov 2007 1:56 pm

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Wed 07 Nov 2007 3:18 pm

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Wed 07 Nov 2007 3:50 pm

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Wed 07 Nov 2007 9:15 pm

Nice :twisted:

That's gonna make ammo conservation a priority, just the way I like it! :D Should also force actual co-operation amongst players, as opposed to the "Ok, I won't shoot you but I'ma scarf teh ammo!" which is so common nowadays :P

As for the zombies themselves - Romero Style FTW! Individually they're crap, but once the numbers swell, virtually any combat situation will only end one way :)

If you need any help in the way of DDF and/or basic mapping ideas (especially for co-op stuff), gimme a shout ;)

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Wed 07 Nov 2007 11:03 pm

alright, ill keep you in mind for an ideas and ddf stuff, might even get you to test some of the levels in a while when there mostly finished, and you could add your input into it

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Thu 08 Nov 2007 3:24 am

Cool, cool. I'll do what I can :)

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Sat 10 Nov 2007 1:32 pm

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Thu 22 Nov 2007 1:45 am

kinda of a small update, ive worked on a large part of the story for my mod, which kind helped me getting ideas flowing, and ive added alot to the first map since, and worked on the others a bit,
wanted to ask two questions,
first, if anyone can help me with this, ive got a png texture that ive worked on for doors in my level, that have a metal frame and a window, and since in photoshop i can set the levels of transparency, i was wondering if the same can be done in edge, having a solid frame and transparent window, heres and example of it, to make things easier to understand

the other thing i wanted to ask was you guy's opinions on some of the weapons i might go for, right now im working with counter strike rips, but i wanna go for a more doom/duke nukem feel, an take pictures of my own weapons, and then edit them to have a more sprite look, i realise it might take a lot longer for weapons like that, but i think it will look better, heres a couple examples

also, heres a little shot of how things are coming
Last edited by immortalundead on Mon 10 Mar 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Thu 22 Nov 2007 2:15 am

Nice skybox.
I think it's funny how we both post issues about alpha trans PNG textures at the same time.

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Sun 20 Jan 2008 10:18 pm

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Mon 21 Jan 2008 4:09 am

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Mon 21 Jan 2008 4:18 pm

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Thu 08 May 2008 7:26 pm

just a little update, ive been working on a couple 3d models over the last couple days, here is a stop sign and dumpster (untextured)

i am also working on cars/trees/and other scenery to add, but monsters and weapons will still be sprite based. the levels are growing more and more, no screen shots right at the moment though.

the project isnt dead, just slow going(kinda like a zombie), ive moved into a new place, im working full time and all this, but finaly things are being settled and im able to focus again on some dooming

another note, the new version of edge rocks!

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Thu 08 May 2008 11:08 pm

Nick_Perrin

Postby Nick_Perrin » Fri 09 May 2008 1:30 am

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Fri 09 May 2008 2:08 am

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Fri 09 May 2008 2:45 am

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Fri 09 May 2008 3:05 am

Return to “Projects for EDGE”