Armour features

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

andrewj

Armour features

Postby andrewj » Wed 22 Aug 2007 12:01 pm

I'm working on some armour features right now.
It is not ARMOUR.DDF which some may have hoped for, but it's still quite useful:

1) new PURPLE_ARMOUR type, which sits between Blue and Yellow armor and provides 66% protection by default. That brings the number of armors upto five, about as high as I'd like to go.

2) ARMOUR_PROTECTION command lets you control how much damage the armor will save. You use it on the pickup item thing, and when you pick up that item, the value will be remembered in the slot for that color of armor, and used from then onwards.

3) ARMOUR_DEPLETION command controls how fast the armor is depleted, 100% is normal rate, 1% would be very slowly. Must be used with ARMOUR_PROTECTION.

4) when ARMOUR_PROTECTION is used, the RESISTANCE_CLASS and IMMUNITY_CLASS also apply to the armor. Hence you can create armor that protects better against certain types of attacks, or even makes you totally immune from them.

5) SIMPLE_ARMOUR special, just disables the funny code that EDGE uses to emulate the DOOM armor system. When set, picking up armor has no effect on any other color of armor. This flag will be a lot more useful once custom HUD support is done.

**Update**
6) ARMOUR_CLASS : set of attack classes that this armor will protect you from. When the attack is not matched here, it's as if the armor didn't exist.

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Wed 22 Aug 2007 7:58 pm

I do like the sound of this. Resistance to damage types based on your armour, as well as being able to adjust the depletion rate, allows the user to create fire-resilient armour, or even armour that blocks 90% damage, but only for one or two shots. Very interesting.

-Edit-
How about states(Armour)? For example, if you pickup blue armour, you can switch the player graphics to a marine wearing the mega armour... just a thought.

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Fri 26 Oct 2007 11:42 am

Oh yes, lovin' the concept of ARMOUR_CLASS.

Can finally make Baron and Knight fireballs lethal attacks, regardless of armour ;)

Although the ARMOUR_PROTECTION flag is confusing... I'm afaid I don't understand, although I think I get the basic idea :S

All in all though, this really is going to open up a whole host of new options for mods - and correct me if I'm wrong, but despite there being 'only' five (Ha! More than any other FPS I know!) defined armour types, if combined with all these new flags increasing the variations in armour properties, I'm guessing there will be literally hundreds of combinations available for each type, yay?

Example(s), incase my blabbering coffee-filled mind is making no sense to the sane readers;

(very rough, with crap names and little imagination BTW :P - been a while since I checked armour defs in the DDF)

For arguments sake, 'attack_class=a' applies to all hitscan weapons, and 'attack_class=b' would be fire-based attacks. Yes, I know they're not defined individually here... ;)

BASE_ARMOUR_P:[666]
BLAH;
BLAH;
BLAH;
PICKUP_BENEFIT=PURPLE_ARMOUR(100);
ARMOUR_DEPLETION=75%;

COMPOUND_ARMOUR_P:[667]
BLAH;
BLAH;
BLAH;
PICKUP_BENEFIT=PURPLE_ARMOUR(150);
ARMOUR_DEPLETION=50%;
RESISTANCE_CLASS=A;

ASBESTOS_ARMOUR_P:[668] // stupid name, I know :P (why'd I comment this out? :lol: )
BLAH;
BLAH;
BLAH;
PICKUP_BENEFIT=PURPLE_ARMOUR(80);
ARMOUR_DEPLETION=100%;
IMMUNITY_CLASS=B;

Hope that made sense, though it was as rough as a badgers arse :P

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Fri 26 Oct 2007 1:07 pm

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Fri 26 Oct 2007 1:34 pm

Return to “Feature Suggestions”