Consoles!!

Talk about stuff not related to EDGE.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Corbin

Consoles!!

Postby Corbin » Fri 03 Aug 2007 6:31 am

Ok, so how many consoles do you own? For me, I own almost every single Sega console, and haven't bought a new one since the GBA...

So how many do you own? Also...besides those, not pictured are the Atari 2600, GBA, the original Game Boy, and the Sega Master System 1 (the plastic on the front was destroyed, it still works but it's ugly looking).

Visplane Overflow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Visplane Overflow » Sat 04 Aug 2007 2:47 am

I've never been too pleased with Sega's consoles, the Genesis and the Saturn had some ok games though. As for the consoles I own, that would be, NES, SNES, Gameboy, N64, Gamecube, Playstation, PSP, Playstation 2, Sega Genesis...and I think that's about it. I don't have any of the new Next-gen consoles, since I believe they are largely overhyped, like the release of Halo on the XBox =p However, I do have my eyes on acquiring a Nintendo Wii - despite the ridiculous name, it is indeed something new, rather than the Playstation 3 and the XBox 360, which offer nothing but improved computer parts to the gaming scene. (Though I should add, that being the Metal Gear junkie that I am, I will at some point buy and play Metal Gear Solid 4 - on somebody else's PS3, naturally =p I don't know how anyone could get away with buying those consoles with the oversized price tag they come included with.)

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Sat 04 Aug 2007 7:06 am

MGS is not my forte', unfortunately, but it's fun in its own right.

I would never shell out that much for a console. That's how I felt about the Xbox2 and the PS3 -- too much of a rehash. They bash Sega's earlier efforts with their Genesis add-ons, and this is worse than that, by far. It's just the same games now, over and over, on better hardware. That's it. I mean -- it's so boring and uninventive.

The only console I would go out and buy is the Wii. I love that system to death. Besides that, the closest thing? A DS. Nintendo really has me believing they're going to save consoles once again, even though I wasn't a huge fan of them during Sega's reign (because obviously I'm a Sega kid...lol).

The only console that I ever bought that I felt was too much was the 32X, and it was worth it in the end.

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Sat 04 Aug 2007 12:17 pm

Well, my gaming hardware has been:
-Commodore 64
-Playstation
-PS2
-GP2X

Actually thanks to the GP2X I now have a portable NES, SNES, Spectrum, Sega Genesis/Megadrive, Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance as well to catch up on what I missed in my youth :)

I'm seriously thinking about getting a PSP, but I'm waiting for the prices to drop below ?150.
The PS3 also tempts me, but thats gotta get down to at least ?500 before I get one. Yes, it's expensive, but you have to take into account that it is basically a low end PC (you can even install Linux) as well as the cheapest BluRay player on the market.
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Visplane Overflow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Visplane Overflow » Sat 04 Aug 2007 9:30 pm

I'm gonna have to point out that you may not want the Playstation Portable :P They are notoriously fragile, and have a battery life. To top off, there aren't a whole lot of games for it (Though, I suppose that would depend on what you like to play. Honestly, I only picked up one game for it - Metal Gear Ac!d - and what a mistake that was :P). I do believe that Sony's games division lost a staggering $1.7 billion dollars due mostly to the PSP =p If that's at all indicative of it being a bad console, heh.

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sun 05 Aug 2007 6:25 pm

I started of a with an atarti STe which was cool, then a master system, ps1 and now ps2 which i only use for watching dvds.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 07 Aug 2007 7:51 am

Yes, my brother has a PSP, they're horrid. I personally can't fathom the idea of a 3d portable system. I guess I'm too oldschool or something?

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Wed 08 Aug 2007 10:05 pm

So I'm taking on the task of building a Genesis/Game Gear hybrid for the Genesis Nomad Portable...

This is an idea that I've had for awhile and my friend says we should start work on it when we're together, so yeaa. when the exterior is all out of it I'm painting the shell bright pink. :D my friends would probably be too embarassed to play on it :D

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Fri 10 Aug 2007 5:17 am

Some guys have a problem with hot pink =p Oh well, it sounds like quite an idea, hope you get around to it.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Fri 10 Aug 2007 7:26 am

LOL not exactly a true "guy" but okays whateva. What do you think?

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Fri 10 Aug 2007 6:53 pm

I was actually talking about this line you said "... I'm painting the shell bright pink. My friends would probably be too embarassed to play on it"
Anyway, my last post was somewhat brief, since I was tired after just getting back home from a trip out to the desert :P The idea is indeed interesting, the Genesis was one of my favourite consoles as a kid, though I've never played the Game Gear. Oh well, that's about all I have to say =p

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat 11 Aug 2007 5:18 pm

I have a Commodore 64, a PlayStation 2, an XBOX360, and a Wii.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Sat 25 Aug 2007 5:02 am

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Thu 01 Nov 2007 3:14 pm

"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Wed 19 Mar 2008 1:41 am

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Wed 19 Mar 2008 4:03 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Wed 19 Mar 2008 6:54 am

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Wed 19 Mar 2008 7:31 am

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Wed 19 Mar 2008 2:16 pm

"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Wed 19 Mar 2008 4:28 pm

Nick_Perrin

Postby Nick_Perrin » Fri 21 Mar 2008 2:45 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Fri 21 Mar 2008 6:12 am

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Fri 21 Mar 2008 8:05 am

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Fri 21 Mar 2008 5:52 pm

I'm sick of SPAM! I want more cookies.... Yum yum! Oh Corbin, I will admit I was pretty dimwitted as far as computers where concerned back when I used Win98 as my main OS. I was stuck with a 400mhz Compaq, and AOL as my internet for as long as..... Well, I'm afraid to say.......... You might laugh, or cry with me..... I'm not sure.... At least I can say I got good at drawing with PAINT! :) The only game I made levels for back then was Rise of the Triad. <3

As for naming your project Corbin, I would go with: GenMAD, or NOgear..... Because the only way your ever going to finish a project like that is by lots of swearing, and breaking random objects. I'd pay you alot of $$$ if you could make me a hand held Commodore 128. I have an extra one I'm willing to part with for such a project. I know your very busy, as we all are... Just thought I would through yet another idea out there.

Goodluck man!

Edit: Do you want my Black Dreamcast? I dont want it anymore.

I made you smexy.
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Mon 24 Mar 2008 4:18 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 01 Apr 2008 5:21 am

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Wed 02 Apr 2008 12:05 am

Tragos

Weeee!

Postby Tragos » Fri 11 Apr 2008 1:19 pm

CORBIN!!!!

I would be willing to send you 2 dream casts, and my second Commodore 128 which has slightly yellowed over the years. You can have the dream casts for nothing if you can make me a hand held, well...... More like laptop commodore. The power supply is bulky, along with the 5 ? disk drive. I have one of the VERY rare FD-2000 drives, which was never used.... I cannot let that get butchered, sad because it can format a 3 ? inch disk up to 2 mb!!! My 1590 floppy drive I think needs to be realigned, as for some reason it no longer wants to read anything, instead making a loud chirping, and twinging sound. You could pro belly draw up a design better than I could, a old Game Gear screen might work well here.... Since I know those where like mini-tv's actually. My reason for wanting this other than geeky reasons, is my collection is TOO large. Between my network in the garage and other collectibles spilling all over my room.... ( Damn 40k.... ) I'd love to have a small space to use my commodore again, and finishing learning BASIC! <3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_128

A hand held/laptop commodore 128 would be truly one of a kind, and a great achievement. If you dont think this is an even trade for time and work involved, I'd throw some funds your way. :)

Otherwise, I might be able to get you 2 dream casts for $20 not including shipping. I wouldn't ask a single extra penny from you, other than what I spent myself. I work right next to a UPS store.

Let me know.

Hmmm, arcade boards? I still want the Terminator arcade game, along with lets say: Smash Tv, and maybe Sinistar? Screw bubbles....
www.tragos2d.com

My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Sat 12 Apr 2008 12:17 am

Let me look into the C128, I'm digging up schematics. I can't promise anything since it looks quite big but I'm going to review it with some friends of mine and see what we can come up with. I'll be happy to share the ideas as they progress. I obtained several more game gears so I wouldn't mind using their screens if I can come up with a solution.

Haha, BASIC, that's what I coded my first Genesis cart in. Nice.

Which Terminator game? Judgement Day? I just got that for my Sega. Love it.

Yeah, those Dreamcasts are cool. Whether I build the C128 or not, I am still going to pay you for them either way. PM me, compute how much you want plus shipping. And $20? Are you sure, I'll be willing to pay way more.

pilottobombadier

Postby pilottobombadier » Fri 18 Apr 2008 1:58 pm

I have an SNES, DS, XBox and computer for DOS. I need to replace its soundcard, though; apparently the CMI8738 emulates the Soundblaster 128, which a few of DOS games I really really like can't use.
?lleps cigam a, 4f tla hsup

Return to “Other Gunk”