You know, I realised something..

Talk about stuff not related to EDGE.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chronoteeth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

You know, I realised something..

Postby Chronoteeth » Thu 21 Jan 2010 3:59 pm

This port has loads of power and accessability, yet it often goes underused, forgotten, ignored, or all of that. The forums get about a post a month, there hasn't been any activity. Heck, even the big release of 1.34 has fallen on deaf ears on basically every major doom site. Why is it that something that can match or make even better that zdoom or any of those other ports can do, has fallen into the realms of source port obscurity?

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Fri 22 Jan 2010 12:49 am

one the problems is most large mods for it are still in construction, and there arent any small maps to show off a couple features being releases.

there are so many little maps for zdoom/gzdoom released that people just end up playing that, and wanting do levels for that. edge needs more publicity :D

what could help it is if this community got together and released a small wad, say 5-10 maps at most, showing of the capabilities. maybe even build 1 edge hub based around a central idea, to get everyone working together to show people what edge can do and to get them using it.

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Fri 22 Jan 2010 3:15 am

If all the major TCs released at once for edge, that'd be great influence for it to go. Long dream tho.

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Fri 22 Jan 2010 6:28 pm

I'm starting to think Corbin maybe on to something by targeting niche gaming communities. They are far more eager to see new material for the systems that they love and refuse to part with. They also tend to be more open minded about what port is utilized as they are less likely to have been using the same zdoom/skulltag port for years on end.

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sat 23 Jan 2010 10:41 am

What would help is more doom maps for edge, i can think of 4 levels (1 being my own).

I was thinking about converting some unreleased levels. If we have a community wad, we should all make 1 or so maps and make a couple of episodes of nice classic doom with some nice edgeness...

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Sat 23 Jan 2010 2:54 pm

+1 to what liberation said, one classic doom mod showing off all the things edge can do :D

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sat 23 Jan 2010 3:06 pm

well shall we start a thread with map slots and rules etc?

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Sat 23 Jan 2010 9:21 pm

I'd be willing to join in, but im a terrible mapper. Since EDGE has a bit of popularity with weapon mods, i'd be very willing to make a balanced fun weapon set for it.

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Sat 23 Jan 2010 11:30 pm

id be willing to make a map. :D

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sun 24 Jan 2010 10:43 am

Ok i'll make a thread abit later with rules etc, i think we will just go for 1 episode for now.

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Sun 24 Jan 2010 4:30 pm

I could toss in a few monsters too but that'd already change a lot of stuff, but man I am great with making gun mods. I can't wait :3

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Fri 29 Jan 2010 2:45 pm

I think the problem is that there is no (or nearly no) innovative TC's/Maps/MODs developed for EDGE.
This is, there are a couple of interesting MODs and TCs for Edge, but they are not really so interesting as those zDoom TCs, such as Phocas Island, Ghoul's Forest, etc...

I don't want to say that the MODs for Edge are bad quality, just are not the MOD that the common Doom player wants or needs on this modern times. :lol:
Maybe, something innovative and completely new, will push Edge out from the darkness.

But this also happened to other Source Ports that are really powerfull as Edge is, for example, Vavoom, Doom Legacy, etc...

This is like a computer: if the computer is a god-like computer, but no software at all exists for it, nobody will use it.

The conclusion is: we need an EDGE mod that looks (at least) like this (watch in HD, please):

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Fri 29 Jan 2010 9:54 pm

I'm sorry Karizero, but it all looks like starsiege tribes to me.

Return to “Other Gunk”