EDGE customised doombuilder

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Dartmerc

EDGE customised doombuilder

Postby Dartmerc » Thu 23 Aug 2007 1:38 am

Hey guys, i'm pretty sure this doesnt really belong here, but it does in a way.

Seeing as doombuilder is opensource, would someone with C# (or whatever language its written in) be capable of making a custom build that:

Reads image.ddf, things.ddf, sector.ddf and lines.ddf entries, adding these into the programs userfriendly interfaces.

Allow 'spawning' rather then placing of things, by writing the corrosponding RTS script, allowing Z heights on things placed on the map.

Allow creating of new linetypes or sector types on the fly, by using the 'boom' style of generalised sector effects?

again, this isnt a feature that could be added to EDGE, but IS something that I think would greatly increase the usability of EDGE, the quality of EDGE projects produced, and the EDGE userbase.

Lobo, do you code your frontends in C#?
I'm only really experienced in VB, with a very little C# and C++

What do you guys think?

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Thu 23 Aug 2007 2:07 am

I believe DoomBuilder is written in Visual Basic (VB).
[Interestinly CodeImp plans to use C# for DoomBuilder 2]

Of course tight integration of EDGE features in the most popular editor would be fantastic.

However, there is nobody around to do that work.

I have considered doing it myself. But:
(A) I'm a Linux person, and DoomBuilder only runs on Windows.
(B) The fact it is Windows-only bugs me, I want the stuff I work on to be cross-platform. EDGE, GLBSP and OBLIGE all work on Linux and Windows.
(C) Editors are all about the User Interface, and I don't enjoy that kind of programming.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Thu 23 Aug 2007 3:02 am

Well considering its written in VB, i'll have a look. Don't know how far I will get, reading data from DDF files is simple, WAD decompression code will already exist so reading DDF lumps from within a WAD should be easy enough to nutt out, and I guess I could get my head around using that data once i've got access to it.

I'll have a look in a few hours when I get back from the doctors, i'll post what my thoughts on it are.

Unless of course anyone who has better VB skills then me turns up and wants to do it...

[EDIT]

Looks like it's written in C++ from what i've looked at. I did see an artical on the codeimp website about utilizing VB and C together, so that may be some indicator why.
I'll spend a little more time looking around, if nothing jumps at me i'll give up and get back to my project.

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Thu 23 Aug 2007 4:13 pm

No, DoomBuilder IS written in VB or about 90%, though it does use a couple of .dlls which are written in C (which is probably what you came across).

I've had a look at the code myself, purely out of curiosity to see if it would compile or not, but nothing more. From what I remember it was a pretty complicated beastie to follow.

To tell you the truth, the best place for asking for this stuff would be at the actual DB forums, since the ideal situation would be that CodeImp himself implements this stuff in DB v2.

Some of what you asked for is why I made EMUS (i.e. editing the EDGE-specific lumps in a friendly editor).

As for linking up RTS stuff to a map editing program: that would be sweet and I'd love to do it, but Map stuff is out of my league ATM. For example I'd like to define RTS trigger radius/coords by just dragging a square on the map to define it.

Also, you can create your own DB config file which shows you your own TC-specific Things, Sector, Lindefs etc.(I did this for Lonely Meadows). I don't see it as being something you can really automate in a useful way since it would be different for everybody.
However I guess it would be possible to have it parse any EDGE-lumps it finds and create a temporary config file from them....

hmmm... :wink:

How about a new utility for EMUS which, given your wad with your DDF in it, generates a DB config file from it? Then you could just copy it into the DB directory and start using it. Whenever you add new stuff just run the tool again to overwrite and make a new one. It could parse Lines.ddf, sector.ddf and Things.ddf(even might get a sprite preview going). What do you think?
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Fri 24 Aug 2007 1:34 am

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Fri 24 Aug 2007 3:35 am

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Fri 24 Aug 2007 8:02 am

Ok then, consider it considered!

I'll probably be offline for a while (holidays again) and if I'm lucky I might get the next version of EMUS done with the new Wad Editing Tool (WET) before I get back.
I can't promise that this new DoomBuilder Config (DBC) tool will be in that release as I'm not sure exactly how much work it entails at this stage, but if it's not then it'll definitely be in the next one. :D

And I think if I do have time to implement both tools then that would warrant a v2.0 bump!
, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Return to “Feature Suggestions”