to karnizero- sound entities

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

zZaRDoZz

to karnizero- sound entities

Postby zZaRDoZz » Sat 08 Jan 2011 1:26 am

hi karnizero,

Why not cook up some invisible, non -moving enemies that "fire" sound at player? Think of it as a sentry gun that player cannot see or be hurt by.
Hypertension's been experimenting with THINGS for ambient sound and the results have been less than satisfying so far.
I think It be great to have at least 2 different objects for sound, one based on a melee baddy for close or barely audible sounds and the second based on a constant fire enemy for loud sounds and big rooms.
If Andrew likes the results, maybe he'll add them to the final release.

EDIT: removed devs name, added text suggesting method.
1-09-11
Last edited by zZaRDoZz on Sun 09 Jan 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Sun 09 Jan 2011 12:59 am

Z, the reason we've been having issues with ambient sound is either

1) We use them in RTS, which cuts them off so the timing has to be perfect, also works in a "radius" of an area (or rectangle).

2) THINGS are easier to use for this method because the sounds will diminish correctly versus with RTS, which simply stops the sound once you leave the trigger area. We have many of these THINGS already.

3) We haven't added much ambient sound (yet). You remember that video I had posted from like March? That had ambients as THINGS and it turned out quite well, but when we get around to working on that, we will.

:) Thanks for the watch out though Z!

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Wed 12 Jan 2011 9:04 am

I don't understand now if you need my help or not...

Whatever, I have been experimenting some time ago with "background" sounds (that i think what's what you require) and found some nasty issues, that already corbin told.

So investigating a little more, i managed to reach various solutions to avoid such problems:

1.) Use things: create a thing that doesn't moves, doesn't attacks and is invisible & non-solid, BUT it's a MONSTER. Think about a Zombieman that is invisible and doesn't attacks. Using the "roam idle" sound, is a good alternative for random generated background sounds, for eample, random step sounds, or background battle sounds, birds, etc... This is not usefull for continuous playing sound since the "monster" will play the sound in random intervals.

2.) For continuous playing sounds, for example, a waterfall sound, we can use either RTS or DDF things. This is because such sound is in a certain location, and the player stops hearing it when is far away from where the sound is. I'm not sure, but I think there is a DDFSFX option that may be provided optionally to each sound and makes such sound not to be cut by itself when played again, so the RTS timing issue could be solved quite easy. I think this is being used by the Doom Chainsaw attack sound, if i'm correct.

3.) I you want a general ambient sound, that is played all the time and is heared in all map at full sound volume, the best bet is to use it as "music". Lets suppose you have a scaring map that must continuously play a wind sound effect. Just set the map's music to such sound. It will be played at full sound in a infinite loop, and will not be cut at all. Now you will guess how to set a normal music to the map, since the "music slot" is already pick up. Easy answer: RTS script with PLAY_SOUND_BOSSMAN that plays the real music. This music lasts long enough to make it easy to control the timing.
This also has an extra advantage: you can stop and resume the music if you want. If you hear about a WAD called "BrDoom", the music is only played in certain situations, for example when battles starts and etc.., so the music doesn't breaks the map scaring ambience with heavy metal or disco music ;P

Also i don't think it's usefull to include ambience-sound-actors with EDGE, since if you need to use them you will need to edit the DDFTHING to associate it with the sound you want.

Hope this helps.

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Thu 13 Jan 2011 7:29 am

Thanks Corbin and Karnizero for the responses. I guess what I was trying to suggest was a true sound entity, something a mapper with little or no scripting ability could place on a level with a map editor. The only way to code an enemy to fire at player through walls is in c code i take it. Plus you'd have to sacrifice a slot. It was a nice thought.

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Sat 15 Jan 2011 3:46 pm

Return to “Feature Suggestions”