MDL model format.. a theory, not a suggestion.

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

zZaRDoZz

MDL model format.. a theory, not a suggestion.

Postby zZaRDoZz » Fri 25 Jun 2010 6:09 pm

I've been reading through the directQ developer blog and found a statement that caught me off guard.

I've also made some enhancements to the basic code as it was released last year. I'm not a fan of the renderer for the Quake 1/II model formats, so I switched this one over to something similar to what's in DirectQ at the moment (although with a memory pointer instead of a vertex buffer, and without the boosted limits) and was quite pleased on one hand (but appalled on the other) to discover that Quake II's triangle model format is roughly twice as inefficient as Quake 1's (I guess the "II" has to stand for something). Using my vertex/mesh optimization trick I've reduced the vertex submission for these to about one fifth of what it was.

Now, if I understand this correctly (a long shot, I admit), the Q2 model format that's been used for geometry in several Doom ports and the cube engine is actually the worse choice for substitute geometry. MDL is more efficient, and for substitute geometry might actually work better than MD2.

hmmm....

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Thu 01 Jul 2010 5:54 pm

, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Thu 01 Jul 2010 10:55 pm

Return to “Feature Suggestions”