Just a small request : Lasers

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Karnizero

Just a small request : Lasers

Postby Karnizero » Fri 18 Jun 2010 2:18 pm

Is it too late to ask for a small thing to be implemented?

Could you, Andrew, please, implement some type of linear attack type? That is, a laser beam type attack.

This attack must:

- Be immediate damage attack.
- Constant beam image along the line defined from the player to the impact point.

Something like this could be implemented:

-> [PLAYER_LASER] : attack name

-> ATTACKTYPE=BEAM; : defines the attack as a Beam type attack

-> RADIUS=10; : defines the radius of the beam. This is, the radius an actor can collide with the beam.

-> DAMAGE.VAL=5;
-> DAMAGE.MAX=40; : beam damages

-> SPEED=30; : not necessary in this attack, since it is immediate, like a shot attack.

-> TRANSLUCENCY=55%; : beam translucency

-> BEAM.COLOR=#FFAA44; : makes the whole beam to look this color if the IDLE state has all his frames as "NULL" sprite.

-> BEAM.LENGTH=128; : if we want the beam not to have infinite length.

-> STATES(IDLE)=LASR:A:5:BRIGHT:NOTHING; : We can make the beam trail to look like a constant sequence of (animated) sprites, instead of a uniform laser beam. IDLE state defines the beam appareance while in the air.

-> STATES(DEATH)=PLSS:A:0:BRIGHT:NOTHING, : Death state defines the sprite of the beam when hits a wall.

-> STATES(HIT)=PLSS:A:0:BRIGHT:NOTHING, : Similar to the DEATH state, but this is only triggered if the beam hits anything but a wall (linedef).

After the explanation about how, in my oppinion, this should work, I will give some situations where this is usefull:

- Laser-type Attacks: a constant immediate damage. This is a linear looking attack.
- Railgun-Type Attack: using DDFIMAGE offsets we can make the beam attack to look like a railgun spiral attack.
- Collision Detection: by creating an actor that shoots all the time an (in)visible laser beam. If the player or other actor crosses (collides) this beam, we trigger whatever we need (an RTS, or Jump to another frame/state). This beam does not damage.
- Very Nice HDR simulation: we can make the player actor to stay in a state that shoots an invisible damaging laser beam all the time with a certain attack type, that all monsters are immune to. Now, we create a thing that is NOT immune tho our beam attack. This thing triggers an RTS script when dies, and also spawns himself again. The RTS script that is only activated by killing that thing, makes a "fade-to-full-white effect" in the screen. So, we put the thing in a window. When the player looks at the window, the invisible laser beam hits and kills the thing, it activates the RTS script, and the fade-to-full-white effect appears.
- Laser Barriers: by using a laser beam attack (and a extrafloor, if the laser beam can't be setup as solid).
- Realistic Sun Lighting effects: with a wider, totally white and some translucency, we can make the laser beam to look like the sunlight entering through a thing hole. Check this: . This is usefull if the Sunlight comes in a diagonal direction. This can't be achieved using sprites or linedef textures.
- Lightning storm: linking several actors with beam attacks, we can simulate a Lightning:

This type if atack shouldn't be much hard and long to implement, isn't it?

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Sat 26 Jun 2010 7:04 am

I will consider it, lasers are something I have experimented with in the past -- e.g. I know that doing in DDF with very fast projectiles never works well.

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Sat 26 Jun 2010 3:47 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Fri 02 Jul 2010 12:08 am

Karnizero set your phaser to kill.
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu 08 Jul 2010 4:05 am

Who's BAD?

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Mon 07 May 2012 1:03 pm

FurtKurr bot, is that you?

:lol:

Return to “Feature Suggestions”