Linear-Keyframe Interpolation

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Corbin

Linear-Keyframe Interpolation

Postby Corbin » Sun 13 Dec 2009 6:43 am

Andy,

What code did you use for MD2 models in EDGE? The reason why I ask is because I want to see if it could be replaced with a more efficient solution that adds linear keyframe interpolation to the animations, eliminating the jerk it comes with. Keyframe interpolation comes with all of the other modern OpenGL ports [GZdoom, Doomsday, etc] that support that keyframe code.

Having the animations limited to the Quake 2 vertex non-smoothed makes me want to gouge my eyes out, and the extremely high poly models with animations in Hypertension look like complete and utter shit. Since I don't want to scrap the work we've put into it, I figured this would be the next best thing to seeing how possible this is.

If you aren't willing to do it can you point us in the right direction for getting this underway?

Lobo

Re: Linear-Keyframe Interpolation

Postby Lobo » Sun 13 Dec 2009 7:46 am

What a drama queen! You want to gouge your eyes out because your models look like crap?

Really Corbin, who the hell makes lots of "extremely" high poly models (using .md2 models?!) and then later notices that they don't work well in game and that the inherent animation format is limited? Sounds like a game design problem to me, not an engine problem.

And another thing, if you can't even find in the code where the frame interpolation is taking place, how can you whine about it not being efficient? If your coders are so great why do you need Andrew to hold their hands for every code change they "need" to make?
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Sun 13 Dec 2009 9:28 am

Karnizero

Re: Linear-Keyframe Interpolation

Postby Karnizero » Sun 13 Dec 2009 9:38 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Sun 13 Dec 2009 10:25 am

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Tue 15 Dec 2009 8:53 am

Here it how it works in EDGE:

When a state frame is longer than 1 tic, it will interpolate from the previous frame, but if you don't want that then just use a frame of 1 tic.

If that is not adequate, then I suggest you hire a decent programmer to improve it.

Return to “Feature Suggestions”