Inventory ideas

Remember it never hurts to ask, but you might not get it.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Dartmerc

Inventory ideas

Postby Dartmerc » Tue 25 Sep 2007 4:30 am

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Tue 25 Sep 2007 7:19 pm

Your idea, Dartmerc, is the Strife inventory system. The Strife inventory system worked exactly the same as Heretic or Hexen's... You would have an icon representing your selected item on your hud, and you would use Invleft and Invright keys to adjust selection left or right, respectively. And then a third button would activate your chosen item. This method I found difficult to use in tense situations, though I guess it wasn't too bad :P. Inventory might be only useful to certain mods, but I still think the concept should be paid at least a little attention.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Tue 25 Sep 2007 11:30 pm

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Fri 26 Oct 2007 12:17 pm

I can already see a use for an inventory system, but it's pretty specific to weapons modding;

Ammunition clips/magazines/whatever else you like to call 'em.

This idea was actually being thrown around somewhere else (possibly the old forums?), but I would really, REALLY take to this like a fish to water.

I know that there is a 'DISCARD' option for reloadable weapons, but for me, I think that an inventory system would make it much easier to define ammo limits etc.;

Example:

If I have an SMG using Bullets (Duh!), with the current system I have to work out a reasonable ammo supply, usually a multiple of said SMG's 'clipsize' parameter - and to me, a limit of 270 looks odd on the HUD, so I round it up to 300. The result? Too much ammo, not enough targets :P Then there's the inherent problem of 'mag-splitting' (horrible terminology, sorry), due to zombiemen dropping half the ammo...

With an inventory, I could just decide on a flat limit to how many spare mags could be carried, and save myself the problem of having to wait several seconds to reload in a firefight, only to discover I've only loaded four poxy bullets - instead I'd always have a full 30 round mag reloaded, and avoid a world of stress.

It's not all about how many tools of death and havoc can be carried either - the number of times I've had to backtrack through some giant sodding map, all for the sake of some very necessary health? Annoying, considering there's a chance of having to cross acid, or a stupidly complex crusher in some of todays released WADs. An inventory would solve this problem by allowing 'portable medikits', so that healing is always a few buttons away! (God that made me sound cack at Doom... Which I'm not ;))

Still there? This would also speed up LAN co-op games, by enabling inventory sharing - none of that poncing around looking for ammo for one player because they did all the fighting - all the lazy gits who sat back occasionally killing a lone imp can contribute to his efforts and chuck some needed supplies on the floor for his troubles.

(It'd also open up options for possible character classes (base inventories, etc.), but that's another story altogether...)

And I bet my (dead parrot's) life that this long winded, near-whiny comment made practically no sense to anyone else!

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Sat 27 Oct 2007 1:51 am

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Wed 31 Oct 2007 2:29 pm

Yeah, I thought I'd started rambling bollocks about weapons at some point...

All the same, having a mag display on the HUD would suit me fine.

(All that ranting was due to a game of ICD-SE - Had to sit through the 10 second reload sequence for the dual Uzi's, thanks to the auto-reload, and ended up with the poxy four bullets I mentioned :P)
"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Wed 31 Oct 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah, Cory Whittle likes automatic-reloading, because it forces the player into a very vulnerable state, where attacks can be made on him, but he can't make any back =p I presume he appreciates this dimension it adds to his gameplay.

Return to “Feature Suggestions”