EMUS 2.0 To Do list

Making something for EDGE? Show it here.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Thu 29 Nov 2007 5:39 pm

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Sun 04 May 2008 5:45 pm

Well, just so folks know: EMUS is by no means dead.

As a matter of fact I've been hard at it doing the MD2 states tool(MST) over the last few weeks and it's now a very different beast from what it was (I mean that positively of course!)

-Interface overhaul (thanks to Lib for the idea): now it's tree view where you drag-and-drop frames between nodes to define the states. The old grid view has been deprecated.

-Now outputs frame names instead of numbers since EDGE now supports that and it's a lot nicer to read for your average EDGEr :D

-I've been messing around with integrating an MD2 viewer, trying lots of different solutions. I *think* I'm onto a winner now. Still not sure if it's better as another separate tool, or if it should be part of MST.

Screenage:
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Mon 05 May 2008 4:42 am

Looks bloody brilliant :D

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Fri 09 May 2008 8:34 pm

, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Fri 23 May 2008 8:44 pm

Well, been hard at it trying to get some kind of model viewer incorporated into EMUS.

Here is my odyssey for you to enjoy!

The Search:
At first I was trying to find some source code in VB 2005 to do my own, but there is absolutely nothing out there.

fruitless
Then I decided to try and see if I could get some kind of external library or activeX control or something, but that also drew up a blank.

desperate
Then, I started checking out some "engines" that are available, such as NemoX, Irrlicht etc. and thought I might have been on to a winner, but in the end I gave up on the idea for several reasons:

-Pretty buggy in general: these engines are not meant to be used as model viewers, and once you start loading and unloading various models they eventually go belly-up.

-Too limiting: generally they only let you play predefined animation sequences, but not individually anim frames, or heaven forbid, your own arbitrary animation sequences.

-Wouldn't allow me to load a model from a memory stream (they had to be files). This would mean that I could never load a model from a wad file for example.

-Not easy/not possible to export screenies of the renders.

-Big-ass .dll (> 1MB) needs to be shipped with EMUS.

abandonment?
So in the end I scrapped that idea too. At this stage I was going to just give up on the idea, but then I came across the TAO framework.

The find:
The TAO framework is basically a DotNet wrapper for OpenGL, which means that to use OpenGL from VB.Net I don't have to mess around with loads of calls to weird APIs.

convincing
I thought about it and decided that this could be very interesting since almost everyone who uses EMUS is going to be an EDGE user, and since EDGE is now OpenGL exclusive then I can be sure that they will have OpenGL cards on their PCs.

doubt
Only problem was that I have never touched OpenGL before. So I started looking for some code on the net that might help me out, but, surprise surprise, most OpenGL code available is C/C++. I did find an example to get a crude static 2D triangle rendered on a windows form though, so that gave me hope.

optimism
Now I was getting excited! I was thinking of all the advantages to writing my very own MD2 viewer:

-Load from memory or file, so we could add md2 wad entry previewing to WMT and WET

-Take screen captures automatically whatever way I want: OK, this isn't so great *now* that EDGE handles MD2, but imagine if you wanted to create sprites from a model in the pre-1.29 days, or for a port which has no 3D model capabilities. Automatic sprite creation! That would have rocked... 4 years ago :cry:

-create, in real time, my very own, completely arbitrary, animation sequences (I'm thinking MST here). Actually now that I think about it I don't remember why I thought this was so important but I'm still gonna code it :wink:

-self sufficiency!

feasible?
Then I decided to start coding an MD2 loader.
This should be have been easy because there are loads of examples of loading and rendering MD2 around. However, it was ALL C++ code.

disheartened
Again I almost gave up, because there's a lot of silly little things that your average C coder uses (malloc, memcpy, sizeof), which do not exist in VB.Net and whose absence is really restricting. But I downloaded myself a load of C code and started porting as much as I could, and commenting out the stuff that was stumping me to come back to it later. Slowly, slowly I got around each "missing" C feature. Finally I got to the stage where I could load in the MD2 model and extract out all the info into the appropriate structures. Then I went back to my static 2D triangle rendered via OpenGL, and started messing with getting my model rendered.

a new hope!
I was dreading this moment due to my zero level knowledge of OpenGL programming, but surprisingly the C code was extremely easy to "port". Hell, it took me a week to load the model and read out all the info in the correct way, and just a day to get it rendered on screen!!
, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Fri 23 May 2008 11:45 pm

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Sat 31 May 2008 9:36 am

The model viewing code is almost done now, at least it does nearly everything I want it to do (rendering, rotating/panning/zooming, png/jpg/bmp skin support, plays animation).

Still need to tidy up the code a lot, encapsulate it into a re-usable class, and add code to take care of all the frame/animation stuff I have in mind, but the hardest part is done!

The next EMUS will be bumped straight up to V3 thanks to this new feature I think :D
, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Sat 12 Jul 2008 8:13 pm

, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Sun 13 Jul 2008 10:46 pm

Sounds like your really earning that '3.0' :wink:

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Fri 25 Jul 2008 4:16 am

Lol, i've begun using the Irrlicht.net wrapper for a completely unrelated project and was just searching the forums and nearly crapped myself when I saw a thead from 'Lobo'. Guess I missed your post saying you tried Irrlicht (or actually it meant nothing to me at the time so I didnt take any notice).

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Mon 04 Aug 2008 12:45 pm

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Thu 28 May 2009 3:43 pm

So, after a very long hiatus, I finally got sent off with work to the arse end of nowhere and, due to an unforseen event, found myself with a few hours of free time on my hands.

I finally got stuck into coding what was left to do for WET (Wad Editing tool) and got almost everything done! It's still not 100%, but it is about 98% (just one or two little things need doing which are not crucial) and is at least good enough for public release.

So, now I'm just about ready to turn my attention to either MIT (previosly known as MST) or to the automatic lo-res texture wad generator thingy which Joppu mentioned some time ago. I can't decide which though I'm inclined to go with the lo-res one.

I don't know if I mentioned it around here or not, but the MST has suffered another big direction change: now it's going to be an M.D2 I.mport T.ool where the idea is that you:
a) give it and MD2 and a skin,
b) choose a template thing(Trooper,scenery,pickup or weapon)
c) define your animation stuff (like the previous screenshots of MST)
and the tool will generate you some automatic generic DDF.
You'll be previewing the model the whole time on one side, while on the other you have your DDF/anims stuff to be editing

Anyway, gonna smoke a cigarette and think about what to do next!
, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Thu 28 May 2009 4:48 pm

Great stuff Lobo, good to see you got some free time atlast :D

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Fri 29 May 2009 10:09 am

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Wed 16 Sep 2009 8:11 pm

So, who's up for trying out a beta of EMUS v2?

Check out the first post for linkage.
, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Thu 17 Sep 2009 12:04 am

Fuck yes Lobo, you are the man! Downloading it right now. I use EMUS so much it's not even funny. Seriously - I want to make that t-shirt. =)

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Thu 17 Sep 2009 9:13 am

No problems to report so far :D

Return to “Projects for EDGE”