A.v.M. - Aliens vs. Marines "Aliens Online" redux

Making something for EDGE? Show it here.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Mon 09 Nov 2009 5:00 am

I have tested it 4 way on a LAN and have had no problems. The myth is that anything over 4 players is unstable. I haven't the room to test this out right now.. I did find this: " You can host a 8 player game with some degree of lag around 50ms-95ms."

The main port of choice is still Zdoom but I like showing my screenshots rendered in Gzdoom. :) Since skulltag now supports decorate and up to 32 players I may move this project to Skulltag. Moving this project to another port wont affect the mapping in anyway, so don't worry Eurospriter. Once AvM is in a playable state, we will put Gzdoom to the test Phil. Since your the first person who will beta test it with me. :)
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

EuroSpriter

Postby EuroSpriter » Mon 09 Nov 2009 1:09 pm

Ok... So, I assume that I can add true 3D features to the map, like bridges. Right?

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Mon 09 Nov 2009 6:41 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Wed 11 Nov 2009 1:55 am

*old images removed*
The textures are about 70% complete. The final versions won't be so gray. I've also taken the liberty of tweaking the original AO level designs. The base layout is exact, but many slopes and other minor details will be enhanced so the map will appear more realistic. I'm also toying with the idea of re-imagining the first map from Justin Fisher's Aliens TC. This time around, it play out like an invasion map. The story will go something like this:

"After escaping the USS Coronado your escape pod lands in close proximity to a Colonial refueling depo. Also it appears that several other pods managed to escape the ship before it self destructed. Meet up at the base ahead to re-arm and rest."

Of course when you get there, you'l find that the base has been decimated. Then you have a limited amount of time to restore power to the base, and get the sentry guns online to repel a massive xenomorph attack. :D
Last edited by Tragos on Fri 13 Nov 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.tragos2d.com

EuroSpriter

Postby EuroSpriter » Wed 11 Nov 2009 5:01 pm

Wow! Your work looks very nice! The textures, the design and the atmosphere truly are a sight for sore eyes! It's just amazing how good the result can be even though the game engine is so old. Isn't it? Well, keep up the great work!

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Wed 11 Nov 2009 5:37 pm

"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Wed 11 Nov 2009 6:29 pm

www.tragos2d.com

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Sat 14 Nov 2009 5:28 pm

"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sat 14 Nov 2009 6:25 pm

Tragos

USCM Marine #1

Postby Tragos » Thu 19 Nov 2009 3:20 am

I finally decided to show off one of my completed figures. 8)
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 04 Feb 2010 1:41 am

www.tragos2d.com

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Thu 04 Feb 2010 8:13 am

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 04 Feb 2010 1:54 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sun 07 Feb 2010 9:46 am

NuKe

Postby NuKe » Sun 21 Feb 2010 6:00 pm

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Sun 21 Feb 2010 6:31 pm

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Sun 21 Feb 2010 7:32 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Mon 22 Feb 2010 7:34 pm

www.tragos2d.com

errordotocx

Postby errordotocx » Tue 23 Feb 2010 11:36 am

Cool stuff you got goin on here Tragos. Nuke informed us over at the Team Kindred forums at what he had found here and I of course had to take a look. Like what you have done so far and I really hope you are able to finish the project.

But the main reason I am here is because I noticed you need a newer version of AO. I think I might have your fix. Awhile back I was attempting to recreate a map in Hammer for HL2 with the original textures and placements...etc. It all went alright until my entire steam folder became corrupt and was unable to salvage anything. But along my way I did research here and there I have the 2.12 install. There is a couple of goods and bads with this version but it's one of the later ones. Plus it has some of the newer maps that we saw towards the end of the games life. It take a (minor) amount of work to get 2.12 to work as you have to go through several steps to extract it (unless you are running win 95). It's really simple so it's no big deal.

I also ended up with a somewhat of a list of stuff I came up with over the month or so I was working on the map. I'm not sure if much would be all that helpful. But just maybe there might be something in there to further help you.

Welp, I really hope this helps out. Even though I was really young when I played AO back in the day. It has a very special place in my heart and would like to see at the least ONE project related to AO that gets finished LOL ;)

Best of luck man.

[EDIT] Oh and if I may ask a favor of you? and that is of that as you continue about your AO project would you mind dropping a line or two by the Kindred forums now and again? I imagine some of us will try to check this thread on and off to see what is going on but the Kindred forums is a community of long ago AO players. I'm sure some there would really like to see the stuff. :)

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Tue 23 Feb 2010 1:23 pm

Finally! I have the last piece of the puzzle. I can't thank you enough. Now I can finish what I started.... I'll be firing this up on one of my Win95 machines right away.

I never got to play the final version of AO, or even participate in the Online play while it was active... I had once thought this game was never released, I knew next to nothing about it beside a single page article in a gamepro mag I had back in 1998. My whole obsession with this game began last Christmas when I received the entire Aliens collection on dvd. I own every single Alien or aliens inspired game released, but was denied the experience that was AO. For awhile I've been messing around with the Doom engine, trying to decide whether to make my own game or a mod..... After failed attempts to contact former Kensai and Monolith developers I made the decision to just rebuild everything from scratch, while also using this project to expand my own abilities and skills working with the Doom engine and the various source ports. Thanks again, and also I also hope to count on you for ensuring this port is as accurate as possible. ( Nuke are you from Team Kindred? ) Awhile back I made an offline archive on the Teamkindred website, I was fascinated with all the tactical info on how to properly lead a fire team into battle.

I'll try to work up a rough beta test soon as possible. Now Im off the play some AO! :)
Last edited by Tragos on Tue 23 Feb 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Tue 23 Feb 2010 1:51 pm

Worked like a charm on Win98.

Things I noticed right away, the marine's speed and overall movement feels a lot better. Now I've got alot of updating to do! :)
No problem ducking or jumping here.... New weapons rock! In this version I can actually kick some xeno butt! Without dying right away.... Love the Military Base map.

I just worked all night, so coming home to this was like finding a pot of gold in my room. Thanks errordotocx!!! :D

Shot from the Zdoom post with properly displayed texture pallete.
www.tragos2d.com

NuKe

Postby NuKe » Tue 23 Feb 2010 4:53 pm

The best part of AO would have to be heres my list.

1: Staging Area before joining.
2: Fire teams for special weapons.
3: Ranking system for marines/Aliens
4: Map aliens had showed where the marines are.
5: The camera really made the game of your fellow fireteam.
6: The AI was already on the map for aliens which made for
a special game. As marine you were always finding aliens. Best part running into a room and you breathe in it always gave me chills.

All and all AO was my first FPS for computer and my most memorable it would be great Tragos if you can get it done!

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Wed 24 Feb 2010 12:05 am

After finally having the chance to play version 2.12 of AO, I will have to say this is probably the closest thing next to actually setting foot in the Aliens universe. Everything feels like it should. Aliens navigate the maps well enough, weapons each work how you expect them too.

Some of the larger levels will take some time to map out. I use grid paper and draw it out room by room, using the 128x128 textures as a focal point to redraw the room. Takes a bit of time, but it gives me a accurate source to map from. Before I did it like this, I was actually just using two computers at the same time. One running AO, the other with Doom Builder loaded.... This method proved not to be the best way though. I have the USS Conorado map nearly finished. You'l be able to play with the stock textures, however I have made small aesthetic changes in the maps themselves. Turn for turn the level will be familiar to you.

:)
www.tragos2d.com

Mithrot

Postby Mithrot » Wed 24 Feb 2010 4:42 am

I registered just to give you my support man. I played AO offline years after it was taken down, except I played more then 10+ hours (Mostly I was just dickin' around) on a old computer.

Having AO covenitantly on a Doom prt like ZDoom/Skulltuag/etc would be awesome. Goodluck, I hope a release eventually comes out.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Wed 24 Feb 2010 4:49 pm

www.tragos2d.com

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Thu 25 Feb 2010 2:46 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 25 Feb 2010 5:23 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Thu 25 Feb 2010 5:57 pm

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Thu 25 Feb 2010 6:02 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 25 Feb 2010 8:15 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Return to “Projects for EDGE”