A.v.M. - Aliens vs. Marines "Aliens Online" redux

Making something for EDGE? Show it here.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Tragos

Familar level.

Postby Tragos » Fri 11 Sep 2009 2:19 am

--------------- [Aliens Online] ---------------

--------------- [A.v.M.] ---------------
Rendered with Gzdoom, Trago's attempt at map1:

Rendered with Edge, Liberation's early map:

I screwed up the palette in my texture file, this is why Lib's map textures look better. How did you manage this Lib? Importing the textures as raw data in XWE makes them unable to display in Doom Builder. Maybe I can add a custom palette support to XWE? Or did you just convert each texture to .png?

Sorry about the lack of slopes at the moment, as well as doors. I wonder if I can extract the color palette out of Aliens Online? As you can see, the engine favors blue over doom's love for brown. I could be wrong though, this could be due to AO's lighting system? Also, how hard would to be to code the shoulder lamp? Errr, flashlight if you prefer to call it that.... Unlike DOOM, AO seems to be a true 3d engine. Certain area's appear room over room, looks like I'll have to run around as the alien to get every detail accurate.

Player height and mass in AvM is also now identical to AO. Not a big victory, but still worth mentioning. Now when I switch between my two computers, I can hardy tell if I'm in AVM or AO! SWEET! :)
Last edited by Tragos on Mon 14 Sep 2009 2:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Fri 11 Sep 2009 4:56 am

Flashlight = easy.

Doom's pallet also has a love for blue, but I just use pngs and images.ddf, so I don't even have to worry about the pallet.

EuroSpriter

For Traqos

Postby EuroSpriter » Fri 11 Sep 2009 12:22 pm

Tarqos, because there are many mappers in the project at this moment, could you name for me a map from Aliens Online that I could rebuild?

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Fri 11 Sep 2009 2:27 pm

MR-456 Mining Colony

This is the last level, I haven't explored it much. Right now I'm just picking random rooms (easy ones) to get the feel for it. You may also produce an original level if you'd like.

Mapping Specifications:
Width/length = 128 for rooms. ( Increase by multiples of this number )
Ceiling = 256

Player height is 110 to compensate, mass =40. This information is provided for anyone interesting in creating a level from AO. Hope this helps! Also, I need some help with sounds. Someone PM me if they'd like to help me with this. Owning the ALIENS dvd is required.

Anyone see the preview of Pandorum? Looks pretty good. Despite the idea not being original, and the corridors straight out of aliens..... Take the nasties from Serenity, add a touch of Aliens, through in a few things from Deadspace, and some guns....... Only then may you have an Entertaining movie? Hey the director worked on the Resident Evil series, so it must be good? HAHA! All joking aside, I'll see it when it's out in theatres. Wow, that was random.... Just thought I'd mention it.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

New Textures?

Postby Tragos » Sun 13 Sep 2009 8:36 am

I'm currently tossing the idea around of creating my own textures for this project. I believe I can recreate high res versions of the stock "AO" textures.... Many of which I can obtain from my job. My fear is that without dynamic lighting, the high resolution actor's will look out of place. Too good for the standard textures.... I can still rebuild the current levels with what I have now, and just replace textures as I create proper donors later down the road.... Make sense?

Is this a good idea? Pro's, con's? Trouble is I'd be working against my "keep it simple stupid" rule..... The more detail added to the maps, the greater chance I may get carried away...... Thus ruining the authenticity I was originally planning to keep for A.v.M. Should I take the liberty to develop their levels further? Besides the standard alignment of textures, poor texture placement, etc.... Currently present in Aliens Online......

Who really knows what changes would have been made if AO was developed longer than it was. I'm bursting with idea's, but wonder if its right to act upon them? For me playing an updated AO would be enough, problem is only old timers, and curious gamers would want to play A.v.M. I understand I won't be able to satisfy everyone..... But would like to cater to the needs of the person craving the more vivid, intense Aliens experience like seen in the movie. While giving the game a serious face lift so the graphics won't be called "sucky" by current industry standards..... Don't you hate that!?!?!? It really irritates me when an old game is criticized for graphics, or the flaws which are now obvious. Hell, Starcraft is terrible in many ways.... But at the time it was released, there was little to compare it too. So in the worlds eyes it was the perfect RTS....... ( Nope! )

I want to invoke a sense of dread and fear among those brave enough to face the Xeno-morphs face to face..... My mind is not made up, I'm open to idea's and suggestions.

Pros:
+More atmosphere
+Better game-play
+Attract wider audience.
+My own IP, just the textures/sprites.

Cons
-Upset former AO players not liking the changes I made.
-Possibly ruining game balance between species.
-Performance issues on lower end PC's.
-Using all Copywrited IP, suing ensues.

Thats all I got for now... LOL I'm also not worried about any legal aspects, since this project will always be FREE. Should I go on to create my own commercial game one day, then I may ask for a few pennies. :D
www.tragos2d.com

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sun 13 Sep 2009 9:40 am

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Sun 13 Sep 2009 4:17 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Mon 14 Sep 2009 2:46 am

I was able to do a palette dump to extract the color palette from AO. The file is now in .act format for adobe photoshop. Anyone have any idea how I can convert it back to .pal?

I have a program which claims it can do the job, "PEdit " but I'm not sure how to use it. I also have Photoshop, just need someone to point me in the right direction.

OOPS!!!!
www.tragos2d.com

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Mon 14 Sep 2009 3:30 am

Oh, and for what it's worth - I say go with an updated version, rather than trying to stick to the old game as tight as possible.
You'll keep your motivation better when you have more freedom, and if you are making honest improvements, fans will rejoice at getting to play an upgraded version. I mean, you're upgrading the engine and graphics, why not upgrade other areas a little too.
You wont please everyone, but you'll please some, and at least you'll give people something to have an opinion about, and something to argue with each other over.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Tue 15 Sep 2009 4:21 am

Well said Dartmerc... I value the opinion's of everyone on this forum very much. As of right now I'm deciding to go 50/50. I'll include the original maps but with improvements, as well as a few 100% original levels. The stock textures are fine, but let's first see if I can produce adequate replacements before I write them off. My girlfriend is skilled with photoshop, I'll see what she can do first before I run amok with my digital camera. :)

When I first began this project, it wasn't my intention to do everything photo-realistic. But hey, why not? The whole point of this project is to make a great game, and make a name for myself. My dream job is to work in the game development industry. But its rarely a field many people can succeed at well enough.

Oh and btw, Liberation's new maps look SWEET!
www.tragos2d.com

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Tue 15 Sep 2009 6:05 am

Tragos

Work in progress.

Postby Tragos » Tue 15 Sep 2009 6:24 am

Red = Completed

I'm sure I'm not the first TC/MOD/Doom modder/Hobbyist/Developer to say this and at the risk of jixing myself..... I'll never give up on this project. I've invested too much time, and money to ever quit! Out of all my failures, this is my one success. It will be completed, however long it may take. To stop now, or ever would ruin my ego! Whatever amount of it still exists.... lol

I set goals for myself. Right now I'm creating at least 4 rooms a day after work. On my days off anything extra I get done is a bonus! There will always been at least 1 thing in a day I contribute toward making A.v.M. a reality. The completion of this project is as vital to me as breathing, hows that for dedication? :roll:
www.tragos2d.com

Lobo

Re: Familar level.

Postby Lobo » Tue 15 Sep 2009 10:44 am

, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Tragos

WTF?

Postby Tragos » Tue 15 Sep 2009 3:45 pm

I've tried your program. It works very well, but it appears I'm still doing something wrong.

1. Converted pcx images to bmp.
2. Converted bmp to png.
3. Ran Lobo's program using .50 scale (wrong), with 2 images giving me errors.
4. Re-textured the first room using the new source wad.

So far so good, but the scale is wrong and the textures still get converted to the doom palette. :(

When I try to use 2.00 scale I get this message:

Anyone that can help solve my palette issues here is the Aliens Online palette:
http://rapidshare.com/files/280493012/aopal.act.html
My attempt at converting it into a playpal.lump resulted in the mess above.... You may need photoshop to read this file. Pedit also works well enough.

Zdoom supports PNG, but I'm having no luck getting them into a wad. I tried the "import raw data" using XWE, and converting each image manually to .png using SlumpED. Still success eludes me... I came across this while searching google:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23496

It mentions something about putting images in a zip folder? That's news to me.... Also I haven't explored using the HIRESTEX lump yet, perhaps that's what I need to try next? Could anyone explain the whole process?

Suffering from a little information overload at the moment..... :shock:
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Minor changes.

Postby Tragos » Tue 15 Sep 2009 11:11 pm

Just playing around with simple architecture, good? Bad? Opinions?

Same room as before, just trying to place the textures better than what Mythic did. :)
Last edited by Tragos on Thu 24 Sep 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.tragos2d.com

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Thu 17 Sep 2009 3:41 pm

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 17 Sep 2009 7:50 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

New member.

Postby Tragos » Fri 18 Sep 2009 5:32 am

I would like to welcome "eliw00d" to the dev team.

He will be doing much Decorate work for the weapons in the Zdoom version. So far he's completed the Pulse Rifle about 75% and it's looking GREAT! I couldn't ask for more. 4 round burst, fully automatic mode, and the grenade launcher all works now complete with Muzzle effects!

Once all the USCM weapon's are complete I'll compile a short video showing them all, along with a sneak preview of the stop motion I've been working on.... 8)
www.tragos2d.com

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sun 20 Sep 2009 8:09 pm

Tragos

Wow!

Postby Tragos » Mon 21 Sep 2009 1:27 am

WOW!!! Wonder if it plays as good as it looks.... I'm sure it does... Good work Lib! I'm about to release a video showing off the completed weapons for A.v.M. Credit goes to eliw00d. :)

Now I'm even more anxious to to shoot something! I'd be afraid to get that close to a Xeno....
www.tragos2d.com

Lobo

Re: WTF?

Postby Lobo » Mon 21 Sep 2009 4:08 pm

, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Wed 23 Sep 2009 4:04 pm

, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 24 Sep 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks Lobo, I'll try it again and let you know the results. I'm still playing around with the AO textures, but also working on new ones as well.

What lurks beyond? ( Adding some lighting, sorry if its too dark! )

Last edited by Tragos on Sun 27 Sep 2009 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

New Sprites!

Postby Tragos » Sat 26 Sep 2009 10:06 pm

Just got back from Best Buy.... Expect to see some new sprites in about a week or two. :) I have a 3 day mini-vacation planned to visit my girlfriends uncle with her, so I'm not sure what I'll get done before I leave.

It's gonna be tough to top Liberation's screens above, but I will succeed... Not that where competing or anything..... :roll:
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Textures

Postby Tragos » Thu 01 Oct 2009 10:45 pm

Rough preview of new textures for AvM. My camera doesn't take great video, but still quite good enough for DOOM! :) Once I have time to touch them up a bit, and add some effects they will look much better. I have about 20 min of video I'm going through frame by frame. Above is just a small taste! I can hardly wait to see them in an actual map.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Comparison

Postby Tragos » Fri 02 Oct 2009 3:07 am

My new texture is not replacing the one shown, but merely illustrates how I'm keeping true to the look and feel of Aliens Online. My new textures will benefit from a higher color palette, and will be enhanced a much as possible for only being 128x128 pixels... Though not finished, I believe this looks like it would have fit well into the original game.

If that doesn't like right out of Aliens, then I don't know what does... Many of the images appear gritter than I wish, but I believe that will work to my advantage for AvM.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Compare!

Postby Tragos » Sun 04 Oct 2009 10:33 pm

Here is a shot of a replacement texture of my own creation, and how it compares to the original from Aliens Online. I have about 20 replaced so far, and only 100 more to go! :) I think I'm on the right track. I'm holding off any sprite work I've done for last... :)

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Couldnt resist....

Postby Tragos » Mon 05 Oct 2009 3:47 am

Just wanted to show off some of the new textures, nothing is final yet. Only the light texture is from "AO", the rest are ripped from video taken with my camcorder. The big brown door, is supposed to be green...... My feelings are mixed at the moment, I'm generally happy with many of the textures so far. But they are still only slightly above standard "doom quality". They look fine in that respect, but I'm hoping for much sharper images as this project progresses to contrast better with the new sprites..... I could "rough up" the sprites a bit, but then I'd lose some of the finer details..... :(

_Image Removed_
Last edited by Tragos on Tue 13 Oct 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Last update.

Postby Tragos » Mon 05 Oct 2009 3:51 pm

_deleted_
Last edited by Tragos on Tue 13 Oct 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Tue 06 Oct 2009 3:33 pm

Special thanks to Eurospriter for the screens bellow. This will only look familiar "AO" veterans. I'm very excited that so many people have "jumped" on board to help with this project. By the end of it, I think everyone will be happy. Including old and new fans of Aliens Online. What's not to love? :)

www.tragos2d.com

Return to “Projects for EDGE”