A.v.M. - Aliens vs. Marines "Aliens Online" redux

Making something for EDGE? Show it here.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Wed 01 Apr 2009 11:24 am

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Wed 01 Apr 2009 11:37 am

Double post, but necessary!!!

Forget it all. If you only want to change from RAW to another format, you better use SoX.

Download it here:

Download and unzip it.
Open a MS-DOS/Linux shell, go to the directory where you uncompressed SoX, and type this:

sox myfile.raw mynewfile.xxxx

Change ".xxx" by the format you want.

You probably want .MIDI or .MOD output format. I dont think it's possible to transform PCM to other than MIDI or MOD.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Tue 07 Apr 2009 11:08 pm

www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Tragos

Yo

Postby Tragos » Mon 13 Apr 2009 10:06 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Website nearing completion.

Postby Tragos » Tue 28 Apr 2009 3:59 pm

Just thought I'd post a shot of the website I'm working on. Wanted to know if it looks good so far. All the Xeno art is original btw.

Minor revisions.

Also, Liberation is making great strides in the first map! Every looks amazing.... The screen shots will have to wait until the site it up. :twisted:
Last edited by Tragos on Thu 30 Apr 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.tragos2d.com

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Wed 29 Apr 2009 10:47 am

In my oppinion, looks nice.

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Wed 29 Apr 2009 6:05 pm

Tragos

update

Postby Tragos » Sun 03 May 2009 11:23 pm

Working on a logo for AVM. This is what I got so far. I decided to drop the classic Aliens font, in favor of the AVP style font. Any opinions or idea's?

It's hard to make out, but Corbin do you see anything special? :)
www.tragos2d.com

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 05 May 2009 7:58 pm

Yes I do! =)

Tragos

Teaser.

Postby Tragos » Sat 09 May 2009 1:44 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Wed 03 Jun 2009 3:20 am

Updates coming soon! Can't believe its been a month.... I've had a bad cold that's been kicking my ass for the past week. Regardless of my illness, I've made great strides in my abilities using Zdoom's Decorate scripting. Also, I've been working on the finishing touches for the Marine models. The new pulse rifles look AMAZING, all I have left to do is built myself a smartgun. Right now the eyepiece is the only thing missing from the figures which is keeping them from being nearly 100% authentic.

Good news! I sold my Tandy collection! So I'll have more space in the garage, and hopefully be getting that blue screen back up. If not, I'll at least digitize some rough versions just to get a working idea of they will look in A.v.M. Oh Phill, if you have any recent shots of level 1 I'll add them to the offline website.... :) Message me sometime.

The legs still don't look right to me, perhaps the pants are alittle too baggy? Once I make the leg guards, this may correct the small visual impairments.

Hugs!
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Zdoom Thread.

Postby Tragos » Wed 03 Jun 2009 11:04 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Fri 05 Jun 2009 2:10 am

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Update...

Postby Tragos » Tue 09 Jun 2009 3:10 am

Though this forum seems dead of life... I still post anyway!
Shot of the new intro page. The website for Project A.v.M is finally finished, and will be launched VERY shortly. Also work on the Zdoom port is going strong still. Phill, I need an update on your progress lol.

Work in progress:
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 11 Jun 2009 1:33 pm

www.tragos2d.com

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Sat 13 Jun 2009 1:29 am

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Sat 13 Jun 2009 1:56 am

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

I HATE IE!!

Postby Tragos » Thu 18 Jun 2009 4:11 pm

I've had to redo my website several times in order to get it looking correctly in both IE and Firefox... Well, I finally had enough... I'm not doing it again every time I make a minor change.... Screw IE, I hate it.... Now my website will make use of this script:
http://www.explorerdestroyer.com/

Hopefully this won't turn people away, but honestly... Anyone with some computer wisdom/sense will already be using Firefox anyway. My lack of patience and limited web design skill has forced me to take such drastic measures.... Simple, no firefox? Then no website for you! :)
www.tragos2d.com

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Thu 18 Jun 2009 7:33 pm

Go ahead and alienate 65% of your potential user base.

If your site looks wrong depending on what browser is being used then the problem is your site, not the browser.

It used to piss me off when sites wouldn't let you navigate because you weren't using IE, but now I see that FireFox is going the same route. I've already come across several sites which are not useable if you're not browsing with FF.
I think it's ridiculous:
" Oh noes! M$ fascist monopolistic pigs! Taking over the web! Let's DO THE EXACT SAME THING! That way we will be...errr...emmmm...FF fascist monopolistic pigs!"...hmmmm...

As far as I'm concerned, if I can't use whatever the hell browser I want then I don't go to that site anymore. End of story.
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Fri 19 Jun 2009 10:35 pm

I fully blame my sloppy web design abilities, or lack of as the reason for the problem. :) 65% user base over FF seems kind of high... If those stats are right, then it seems the computer repair business has nothing to worry about! IE is not secure enough for my own use.

Is there a WYSIWYG Web editor that you would recommend? I used Kompozer for my site, before that something called Trelian. Kompozer is a great alternative to Dreamweaver, but sadly.... It's still not as good.
www.tragos2d.com

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Sat 20 Jun 2009 6:33 am

I'm afraid I'm your typical geek who does all his web designing with a text editor, though I do use Kompozer (or even Frontpage) if I need to do weird table layouts or Image maps.

What's wrong with Kompozer? Maybe you should try to simplify the design if you're finding that you're running into compatibility issues. If it's your first web site then start off easy: later on you can always redesign when you get better! :D

And 65% I think is actually a little low: despite what people like to believe, the vast majority of PC users are on Windows and IE. I remember not so long ago when FF was supposed to be "conquering the web" which meant that they taken a whopping 10% of IEs market share. Think of all the business folk in their offices, who are not allowed to install anything in their work PCs. MS is still the king in those environments, even if those same folk go home and use FF.
, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Sat 20 Jun 2009 12:53 pm

Nothing wrong with Kompozer at all. Less than a 2 months ago, I finished a Internet Web foundations course which I ended up getting a "B" in. Old habits die hard, I can actually made a site with tables faster than trying to remember all the css code.

My site is actually very basic, I follow the KISS method... Keep it simple stupid. :) The layout is very simple, only 2 colums, and several rows. I noticed an option to save as template? What exactly does that do? I wonder if it even make a difference in any way.... I'm attempting to edit a template I downloaded, but I hate doing this.... Its harder to look at another person's html, than if you did it from scratch yourself. Besides, I already have the page finished I feel like I'm doing double work. I could try a visual editor, but I very much dislike the weird formats they save your page in. Ever use the coffee cup visual site designer? Then you'd know what I mean....
www.tragos2d.com

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Sun 21 Jun 2009 10:57 pm

About the Explorer's "site compatibility". Internet Explorer isn't actually compatible with the sites, the sites have to be compatible with the Internet Explorer

/rant

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Sun 21 Jun 2009 11:13 pm

GOD DAMNIT!

:)

There will always be geocities...... lol
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

New Map

Postby Tragos » Wed 08 Jul 2009 1:32 am

Not sure if this will end up a Doom map, or one to be used with project AvM. This map has brought me up to speed on many things, including use of slopes. Still trying to see if I can manage rooms above rooms. :) Xenomorphs have no problem navigating the level, also unseen by the screen.... Numerous vents provide quick travel and ambushing for face huggers. The name of this map is "Service Station". A small docking/storage facility with repair depot's, and crew quarters. The facility is powered by a small fusion reactor which can go critical and blow the base if damaged. Originally planed on being a deathmatch only style map, it could be well suited for single player if I choose to spend enough time on it.

www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

NEW FIGURE

Postby Tragos » Sat 08 Aug 2009 7:09 am

Okay, so the helmet isn't 100% how I want it to be yet. But its almost there. Also, its posed with the wrong gun. The hot toys one will be used during the stop motion phase. I got this from a really skilled builder off of ebay. The camo pattern is VERY accurate, as well as the camera on the helmet. Eventually, I will build my own metal helmet similar to this one, as well as a more accurate comm mic. Even still, this plastic one don't look too shabby! :) I'll have a lot more updates coming soon!
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Lighting.

Postby Tragos » Fri 14 Aug 2009 6:50 am

Just playing around with some phased lighting, and sloped corridors... Something sinister running down the hallway? :)

I also noticed that the Smart-gun is being held on the wrong side. Not that it matters, the current sprite is just a place holder.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

AO textures

Postby Tragos » Fri 21 Aug 2009 5:05 am

Added some textures from Aliens Online, giving the map a much more appropriate look and feel. Not a bad start.... It's really starting to feel like AO now.... Next up is showcasing the new sprites!

Last edited by Tragos on Sun 23 Aug 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.tragos2d.com

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Fri 21 Aug 2009 6:18 pm

Im starting to get a good idea for a level, so soon i be firing up SLADE again.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Sat 22 Aug 2009 5:12 am

Good to hear! I have a source file of all the textures we will be using, though you may have to re-size a few things. I haven't had to do too much of that yet... I'll send you it if you haven't your own finished.

Some of the simple textures I plan on redoing so they look better in Zdoom. Right now EDGE has a big advantage in the "looks" department. Now we be a good time to announce that AVM will be using a customized version of Zdoom, called Xendoom specifically for use with AVM. More on that later. Also no sprite will be larger than 640x480. Anything larger doesn't reveal any drastic differences in detail, nor do I wish to waist processing power on ridiculously gigantic sprites. Had to set a limit for that reason. My main development PC is 3.4 ghz Intel, 2gb Corsair, with 64mb onboard video. ( icck!) My hope is to make "AvM" perfectly playable on a 1500mhz PC with a decent graphics card.

Current status of AVM:

Completed:
+ Walking
+ Running
+ Xeno warrior Ai
+ Face hugger Ai
+ Pulse Rifle
+ Smart gun
+ Textures

In progress:
- Website
- Hud
- Inventory system
- Character selection menu
- Title screen
- Marine sprites
- Xeno sprites
- Sound effects
- Flame Thrower
- Pistol
- Alien vision modes
- Marine Flares
www.tragos2d.com

Return to “Projects for EDGE”