Andrew's Quake2 engine

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Nickster

Postby Nickster » Sun 06 Jun 2010 10:55 am

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun 06 Jun 2010 7:24 pm

Who's BAD?

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Mon 07 Jun 2010 12:23 pm

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu 10 Jun 2010 9:53 pm

Last edited by Lysander on Fri 11 Jun 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's BAD?

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Fri 11 Jun 2010 7:10 am

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Thu 17 Jun 2010 8:49 pm

Your last post confused me.

Now I don't know if your game (engine?) will allow modifications as EDGE allows, or we can only modify minor aspects.

In any case, would you make use of COAL for everything? Or will you implement any kind of precompiled language as QuakeC or as Vavoom Engine does with it's .VC files?

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Mon 21 Jun 2010 8:49 pm

I have just get a (I think) nice idea for quite realistic mountains and valley rendering for your engine.
If you gonna make a kind of FPS-Roguelike, some exterior places could look good.

For this, you can use

If you don't want to read that whole article, I will explain briefly what Heightmaps are:

The heighmap is a technique to render exterior 3D scenes, but without having to programm each mountain slope or valley.

To achieve this, you need a image that represents the height of the differect geografical aspects, and an algorithm to interpretate such image.

Example:

This last image does not represents the true power of Heightmaps, since that image looks quite blocky, and you can generate full rounded mountains if you make your algorithm not to create much brightness difference between adjacent pixels in the Heighmap image.

In this image, the more white the pixel color, the higher the 3D point will be, and inverse for the more black pixels.

If a pixel is, for example, 100% white and the adjacent one is 100% black, then you must to trace a straight line between both 3D points in the scene, and this line will be a high slope, but if to pixels are nearly the same brightness, the line-slope in the 3D scene will be less high.

Once your algorithm reads the image and interpretates it, the result will be this:

or like this:

The point of this is that it is possible to generate 3D landscapes without having to define each point in the engine itself via hardcoding, and it's much more easy to generate random images to be used to render the game landscape.

Another more realistic landscape scene using this method:

Andrew, you may look the Gimp source code because it has a filter that generates such random clouds, and allows to change certain parameters, such as cloud density, turbulence, etc...

But another tip, is that you don't need to create the image itself if that is not going to be used anymore. You only need ot create the pixels in memory and read them from there.
Even for huge 3D landscapes, this process is pretty fast (i'm not talking about the rendering process on screen, just the generation and interpretation of the Heightmap).

Isn't it a good idea?

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Sat 26 Jun 2010 5:08 pm

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Mon 28 Jun 2010 3:19 pm

Hope this clarifies things:

Firstly I want to make a good Quake2 port, which runs well on Linux and Windows and has a few extra features. This Quake2 port might use COAL and DDF for the game logic. It would be a huge job to convert all the game logic to COAL/DDF, and I may not feel like doing that work.

This Quake2 port will take a fairly long time to achieve, maybe 12 months, because I only work on it occasionally, and also I'm now working on EDGE 1.35 (which is time I would've otherwise spent on the Q2 engine).

Only after this is done then I really start developing the new game, since I want a good solid engine to use as a base. There exists many open source engines out there, but all the ones I've tried have had big problems in one area or another (and many need a very modern machine and graphics card to use). So I'm happier using something I know well.

In the meantime, I will be thinking about what kind of game I'd like to make (or help make, if other people want to get on board). An FPS of course, randomly generated maps, something very co-op friendly, something where exploration is just as important as killing stuff. That's about the extent of my "ideas" so far :)

Thanks for the heightmap info, I knew about them already, and agree that outdoor areas would be nice to have.

P.S. I don't know if I will keep the Q2 map format or use something new. For random maps the Q2 map format is not the best thing, and the game may require something more dynamic than Q2 bsp allows.

Nickster

Postby Nickster » Mon 28 Jun 2010 6:56 pm

So far I at least like the plan your heading towards and it will be interesting to see how you pull it off.

Also why the id tech2 engine? Since I'm not a coder I wouldn't know the up's and downs.

tech 3 is also available and ioquake3 could be a good base to build from.

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Tue 29 Jun 2010 1:56 pm

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Mon 22 Nov 2010 8:38 am

Any advancement on this?

... and hello you all. ;-P

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Thu 25 Nov 2010 3:05 am

Welcome back man :)

I have been doing some work on COAL2, the successor of COAL which will be featureful enough for doing all the game logic. The design is almost finished and the coding has begun. One goal is that something like DDF would not be needed, because you'll be able to supply the data and state frames (of a monster or whatever) easily in a COAL2 script.

The map format is something bugging me quite a lot. I wanted to have a system where you could create and edit maps with the engine itself, rather than need an external map editor. That would be very hard using Quake2's natural map format, so I was thinking of a simple format like what the CUBE engine uses. However it's still a huge job to switch to a completely different map format, and I really don't have the energy to do all that.

My ideas about the sort of game I want to make has changed too. Now I'd be satisfied to "merely" make a good quality FPS clone. People say that free FPSes are a dime a dozen, and maybe they are, but I don't see many good and finished ones around, not counting the multiplayer games.

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Thu 25 Nov 2010 4:40 pm

hope you get things sorted, it will be good to see more of your work, being a big fan and all!! :D

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Fri 26 Nov 2010 2:12 am

Thanks man :D

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Fri 26 Nov 2010 10:26 am

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Fri 26 Nov 2010 12:17 pm

Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Fri 26 Nov 2010 4:07 pm

Return to “General Discussion”