Expert System + EDGE? = source port with REAL AI

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Karnizero

Expert System + EDGE? = source port with REAL AI

Postby Karnizero » Sun 28 Mar 2010 3:41 pm

This is something like a request and a question, at the same time, for Andrew:

At my job, a partner is using an to handle a bank consulting database with C#.
I ask her to teach me about such expert system syntax and how it works, since I saw some of her work, and really impressed me.
After some days of practising "exercises" with the Expert System we're using in my job (proprietary one), I did some simple AI programs to solve basic problems, such as computer repairing consulting with decisions, and so on. Nothing really special. My knowledge about this is by now pretty limited.

Right now, there are some freeware Expert Systems around. I read the most important one, and most known, is , developed by NASA around 1990 more or less, and now free to use, distribute and modify.

Ok, so the point is that, as EDGE is programmed in C language, I would have to ask Andrew what does he think about implementing some Expert System Routines for monsters AI, or even for scripting, something like RTS replacement OR optional alternative for those who want to use it, instead of RTS. This is, combining RTS or DDF with the Expert System.

I'm saying that it should be possible to link CLIPS (or any other) with EDGE Engine quite easy, so anyone can develop any script to use with DDF/RTS... Something like COAL, but only for level logic scripting and actors AI.

With something like this, any aspect of the game could be infinitely modified, since monsters take decisions depending on the player weapon and/or health or any other parameter we want, or even modifying any aspect of the level itself, like in RTS, but much more complex and functionality.

And the Expert Systems' syntax is not hard at all. No programming knowledge is needed (ok, well, a bit, but not as a professional). I am impressed how anyone can develop any Expert System AI without much programming knowledge.
The only requisite is having a great logical and mathematical mind.

What do you think?
Anyone could be interested?
Any question? Remember I know about this, but don't ask me "professional" questions. I even know only a little about the real potential of Expert Systems since I started learning this 3 or 4 days ago.

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sun 28 Mar 2010 4:50 pm

I would be very interested :D

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 01 Jul 2010 10:46 pm

www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Return to “General Discussion”