Community Wad discussion

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Liberation

Community Wad discussion

Postby Liberation » Sun 24 Jan 2010 8:54 pm

Before makin a proper thread on the subject I recken we have a few things to decide on...

1. Levels or a hub
2. new monsters, new weapons
3. Rts usage
4. Hud
5. MD2s

come to mind so far, also ive started coming up with some rules so to speak.

1. each map is asigned a slot of 100 enteys in things.ddf,

ie map01= 9100 > 9200
map02= 9201 > 9301

etc...

2. Just use stock doom1/2 textures so the wad can be used with the hires textures pack

3. Document all the coding so people new to edge can learn from it.

Just my 2 cents, Discuss!! :D

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Sun 24 Jan 2010 8:58 pm

I've got loads of resources, years of backed up knowledge, and know just how to make any kind of gun you want. Dibs on doing the weaponry, dibs on doing it baaad. Whatever you want, whatever style, i'll make a weapon set to match it, garanteed. If you need some proof on what I have to offer, send me a PM and i'll give you examples. I can toss in a few new monsters too.

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Sun 24 Jan 2010 9:05 pm

I have no problems with you doing the weapons, but what we do with them is still up for discussion.

I would like to use the originals and the doom alpha weapons but with bullet casings and reloads etc,

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Sun 24 Jan 2010 9:58 pm

If thats the case, I can provide guns that have a doom feel to them. They wont use original doom sprites, but they will feel like the classic doom sprites. Center aimed, hand made, and all that fun stuff.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon 25 Jan 2010 4:51 am

I honestly think we should all take a crack at making a Doom Bible remake with modern twists.

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Mon 25 Jan 2010 4:56 am

Nawr, the thing is, a lot have to do with the fact that, we wanna offer something new, while still with the old doom feeling. With guns, you wanna show new sprites, but you dont want it to feel "out of place" in the world of doom, and with maps, you wanna provide a fun new set that doesn't feel like its been done before, yet still familiar. Thats the best way to make a doom mod that isn't a total tc.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon 25 Jan 2010 6:34 am

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Mon 25 Jan 2010 6:38 am

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Mon 25 Jan 2010 6:10 pm

I like the doom bible ideas, but however we need to plan what we are going to do.. c'mon guys!

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Mon 25 Jan 2010 7:31 pm

I'll have a quick little wip of what I meant to show. Alpha style weapons, and if they aren't they maintain that doom feel (essentially black n' wood :V)

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Mon 25 Jan 2010 9:58 pm

lets get some level slots up first? see whos in and how many levels to make?

im reading little bits and pieces from the doom bible right now, its really interesting.

for textures, how about using the doom1/doom2 texture pack from realm667? http://www.realm667.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=152

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue 26 Jan 2010 10:27 pm

I think it may be worthwhile to maybe add some modern spin to it; reloading, angled weapons, maybe higher-quality sounds and music, destructible environment, etc. I'm actually working on a wad based on those aspects right now... maybe we could use it as a base. Here's the beta to download so you guys can check it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x3njghmhlol (after downloading, just place all the files in your Doom/EDGE folder, then click DoomEU.bat)

Important things to note:
- This is a beta. I haven't even begun on the shotgun (save for the placeholder sprites which I do not intend to keep. My vision is a shotgun that is basically the Doom shotgun, but angled.)
- Enemies behave completely different than usual. Instead of standing there, shuffling their legs waiting for you to engage them, they wander aimlessly... rather slowly, until they see you, they speed up. What kind of mindless zombies stand guard? They also are able to jump off ledges.
- There is no more monster infighting. I did this because it added to the intensity, and the concept of being alone. I encourage you to skip to MAP10, and shoot your pistol. Wait a moment. After a short time, a horde of enemies will come flocking toward you. No more relying on them killing each other... it's all on you.
- All weapons are (or will be, as this is merely a beta) angled. The reason I've done this is... one, it's more realistic, and two, *all* modern FPS games have angled weapons. It just made sense.
- The sounds aren't from Doom 3... sorta. They were taken from the Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) pack of sounds that were originally going to be used in Doom 3, but were later discarded.

Be sure to idkfa for all the weapons. The Machinegun is obvious in beta, so it doesn't reload and still looks, for the most part, like the D3 machinegun. There is no longer a chaingun... for the moment. The chaingun could conveniently be turned into a machinegun, so that's what I've done. I intended to add the chaingun later. Be sure you check out the Double-Barrel Shotgun... that's one I'm particularly proud of how it turned out. :D

Tell me what you think!

P.S. "EU" doesn't stand for 'European Union'. ;P It stands for 'Evil Unleashed', which, incidentally, was the subtitle for DOOM during its "DOOM Bible" development stages.

hungerfish

My 2cents

Postby hungerfish » Wed 27 Jan 2010 11:22 am

While I don't think that I can contribute anything useful to such a project, I really do like the idea!
Edge need some PR, and the best PR is a good wad showing of its bells and whistles!!

With such a project, I don't think its a good idea to 'limit' what potential contributes can or cannot do. Especially not level-design wise.
I propose that anybody wanting to map for this, just make a map or two incorporating stuff that edge has to offer.
Then, once the maps are there, discuss what to do with them!

Don't worry about consistency, before anything 'exists' to worry about, just start, or else this is going nowhere... :idea:

On a side note, whilst creating new content is good, I think it would also be beneficial to 'round up' already existing content for edge. I know there are quite a few TCs and stuff out there, but they can be hard to find, even impossible at times.
To this end, somebody with more knowledge than me on the matter could perhaps compile a list of edge-related work, complete and incomplete, and post it on the forums.
Then we could add, download links, or better, host all of it, along with this shiny new project you'll all be working on, at some central place, maybe this could even be added to the main site at some point in the future.
Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Wed 27 Jan 2010 6:05 pm

A few intresting points, i'll check out you wad abit later Lysander.

ok if we just put up the map slots for 1 episode for now and get them filled then we can see what we are up against.

However i think a theme of some sort would be better than random maps but hey we will see.

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Wed 27 Jan 2010 9:25 pm

Cant wait for everything to be solid and in place. You tell me what guns and theme/style you want and ill make it, i'm not gonna have much say in the other parts.

doomer1

Postby doomer1 » Wed 27 Jan 2010 10:55 pm

hey if you guys have need, i finished my Doom back in action mod so you can use any of it with some credit, and i can also provide a couple of sprite edits from cs weapons, or any existing sprites. if you are doing md2 i guess im obsolete :(

but good luck with it all, and nice to see you around chronoteeth.

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Wed 27 Jan 2010 10:59 pm

No CS guns. Very. Very bad.

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Thu 28 Jan 2010 12:52 am

Wasn't Don's challenge one of the more popular wads for edge? Why not Don's challenge 2?

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Thu 28 Jan 2010 1:37 am

Don's challenge 2 was never released

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon 01 Feb 2010 8:50 pm

I'm not saying we have to do these, but here's some ideas I'm just throwing out there; brainstorming, if you will:

Somewhat cartoony, like . Draw some large, well-detailed sprites, then scale them down.
-
Episodic releases, perhaps (if that wasn't what was already planned)? It would be great to tackle one episode at a time, so we could always add new ideas/things later, as opposed to releasing updated versions constantly (aside from bugs and such).
-
So what theme are we going for here? Sci-Fi? Medieval? Fantasy? Old West? Modern? Doom remake/reimagination? Something else?
-
One thing that I insist upon, is complexity. Fully destructible environments, for one. If you guys aren't going to do it, I'll just do that part myself. :P If we want recognition (within and outside of the DOOM community), we need to be relevant. Modern. Voice-acting, MP3 quality music, possibly 3D models. Real-world, or at least recognizable areas. These days, no games have abstract maps (like the original DOOM). Almost all maps in games nowadays have some kind of method to their madness. Unless, of course, we're going for an abstract theme; then go crazy.

Let's get the collective thinking going... and let's try to be original. :D

immortalundead

Postby immortalundead » Tue 02 Feb 2010 12:50 am

check this little post out on doomworld

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread. ... tid=850215

just goes to show how little recognition edge gets, lots of members right away slap on the, "switch to zdoom, its better" attitude, we gotta make this mod stand out

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Tue 02 Feb 2010 4:20 am

Guys, I think the point here is to get something finished.
Look at where this thread is going and it's a prime example of why there are no projects for EDGE.

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Tue 02 Feb 2010 4:34 am

Too busy deciding shit instead of really making something. I say we all just work on something, and in the end, work on making it all work together.

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Tue 02 Feb 2010 5:28 am

Keep in simple. We seem to have some talented weapon and sprite guys, so why not make a nice level set using stock standard doom textures, following a doomish theme (get a bit crazy, but no need to reinvent the wheel here), with some new/replaced weapons and enemies?

This would let level guys work on levels (without having to worry about creating new textures) and weapon and sprite guys to work on weapons and enemies without having to worry too much about fitting a theme.

Chronoteeth

Postby Chronoteeth » Tue 02 Feb 2010 6:49 am

Hey, that I can do. Fun and balanced, but pretty too. Not hard to do! I'm good to go.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 02 Feb 2010 7:51 am

hungerfish

Postby hungerfish » Tue 02 Feb 2010 11:52 am

Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Tue 02 Feb 2010 7:17 pm

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue 02 Feb 2010 9:44 pm

zZaRDoZz

Postby zZaRDoZz » Tue 02 Feb 2010 10:49 pm

Return to “General Discussion”