PNG problems.

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Tragos

PNG problems.

Postby Tragos » Thu 11 Jun 2009 9:23 pm

Doom is fighting me in every way when it comes to using PNG for a weapon animation. I've tried converting the .png multiple ways, with different compression, and Transparencies. Loading it as raw data, and starting from scratch.

Either this happens, or it turns out all grey. The best I can get it, see last image. What am I doing wrong?

The compressed pulse rifle has only 126 colors as a PNG, and looks same as the original bitmap. Is there a way a can ad a custom palette into my wad and have it not screw up everything else?
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Fri 12 Jun 2009 12:53 am

PNG images are not affected by the palette at all. You are probably converting it all wrong.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Fri 12 Jun 2009 1:01 am

You are correct as far as EDGE is concerned. But Zdoom uses the software renderer though, thus its a limitation I can't get around right now. It draws it with its hardware accelerated HUD code so you still get the full colors in the software renderer. I moved my project over to GZdoom which has some great lighting features, but seems buggy and slow compared to regular Zdoom. The OpenGL allows each PNG its own pallete because the hardware renderer supports truecolor. Also as I found out once again, XWE is messes things up sometimes...

This gives me an excuse to almost buy a replica Pulse Rifle. :)
I'll just have to try my hand at editing the graphics if I want to stick with stock Zdoom and save myself $800. :)
www.tragos2d.com

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Sat 13 Jun 2009 1:25 am

What software are you using as a graphics editor?

Also you need to load it as Raw Data, but your PNG image file could be incorrect in some way that causes it to corrupt

If you like, you could send me the required files and I'd look into it. Feel free to contact me on MSN if you want

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Sat 13 Jun 2009 1:58 am

www.tragos2d.com

Return to “General Discussion”