HERETIC/HEXEN Source Released!

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

Corbin

HERETIC/HEXEN Source Released!

Postby Corbin » Fri 05 Sep 2008 1:29 am

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Fri 05 Sep 2008 8:18 am

"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Fri 19 Sep 2008 5:43 pm

Acitvision was the problem i beleave, Raven had there hands tied, if i remember correctly. Good news thou, perhaps we could rob the HUB code from hexen :D

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Fri 19 Sep 2008 6:37 pm

I just want some form of PolyObjects in EDGE (swinging doors, sector move, etc). That'd be freaking amazing.

hungerfish

Postby hungerfish » Sat 20 Sep 2008 3:52 pm

Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Sat 20 Sep 2008 4:18 pm

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Sun 21 Sep 2008 3:12 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 23 Sep 2008 5:32 am

Last edited by Corbin on Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Tue 23 Sep 2008 5:42 am

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Tue 23 Sep 2008 9:33 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 23 Sep 2008 10:45 am

Dude. He was just stating his opinion.

That's the idea of a source port, though. People aren't going to use this if it doesn't keep itself up to date. Hexen has a lot of great features that every other port are going to scoop up (part of the reason Zdoom is popular was because it guess worked this). Where does that leave EDGE then? Behind. Doom Legacy? Behind, same thing happened. Legacy is only great for split-screen novelty, and that's powered by Multiplayer. Hmmm...pattern. . .

Technically MD3 is supported, you just have to convert it to MD2. You can even convert MD5 to it. Half-Life 2 model format? YEP! It can be converted.

Facial animations? Come on. Who in their right mind is going to request freaking facial animations in a Doom port. Physics in a Doom port? Okay, I still don't understand where you are coming from. I don't think anybody ever complained about the MD2 models in EDGE. Point being is that I didn't see anyone requesting MD3 support, all they did was ask about it. Once our little community learned it could be converted we stopped crying about it.

This thread is about Hexen/Heretic. I don't seem to recall those ever supporting models or anything you listed. . .

Why is it that every time we try to request something it just doesn't flow with you? You shoot them down. Okay, that's your right, you don't have to do a thing we say, sure. But it's like -- close the features request board then. All it does is seem to make you antsy because we request "over the top" stuff. I'm not trying to piss you off about this whole thing. That's not my point. I just feel like you are treating this port like a chore instead of a hobby. And maybe if you explained why you didn't want to pop anything from the source in Matt would've given a different response to that. It's not like we request them, even brand-new ones. Just features that even the people before you promised EDGE would have, like multiplayer.

Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad thing.

EDIT: Andy, I posted the image up to convey a point in as little as I could type. Maybe add some humor. A community does that. I understand you are the sole worker on this project. You can't tell me that picture of that little kid frowning wasn't funny. It's not like I went on a rampage about it. Just to make you, or whoever else felt disappointment about it not being supported. In a funny way. I don't know about you but I love to smile.[/b]

EDIT AGAIN: Don't we have facial animations already? In Doom's HUD graphics? =)
Last edited by Corbin on Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Visplane Overflow

Postby Visplane Overflow » Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:03 am

I guess I can't leave well enough alone. Really, I don't think it's so much that the fans here ask for the sky, but more that behind the scenes, EDGE is a one-man-army, simple as that. You can't possibly hope to compete with any other sourceport, which is what everyone wants. It'll never happen.

Things have been grinding to a halt lately, with some small, mostly aesthetic changes to the engine being made, and some silly changes such as nixing CD music, and while aesthetics are nice, EDGE still can't do very much, really. There's a lot of silly limitations in the engine, that are bloody hard to get around, and overall, it's less-than-ideal for the serious modder nowadays. Many of the other sourceports, while lacking EDGE's user-friendliness and simplicity, they can do everything that EDGE can, and then more. I was trying to make note of the fact that we've basically reached a point where EDGE has reached a standstill, and the project will basically fade away from here on as I see it.

I have to say that I feel as though I am making a pointless soliloquy, and that nobody will accept the fact of this port's stagnation, but I digress - I reiterate : EDGE is on life-support, has been for a while. No evolution can take place from this point onward.

Toodly-pipski,
Vis

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 23 Sep 2008 11:10 am

Major difference too being that we don't use this source port to play DOOM - we used it to develop cool stuff for. I see Vis's point though, sometimes I forget that. That's why I wish I could summon 20 man-slaves for Andy to get this thing going again, like the old days. ;)

Me? I'm a developer for this fantastic project, but I was literally so excited that there might be support for this source. But not once did I ask for it, or demand it. I just hoped for it. Hope is important. You said there wouldn't be. I got over it. =)

I don't want to say this port is dead, Vis, because there's a couple of people around here, myself included, that's doing some pretty fancy things for it. It's why I won't use Zdoom. Ugh. Don't give in to the demands of the Dark Side. ;)

But Andy -- you can't get mad because we request something. In the thread header it says "Just because you ask for it doesn't mean you'll get it" or something like that. Sure, we might ask and then complain for 2 seconds. Then we're over it.

^^

Did you get my email andy?

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Tue 23 Sep 2008 1:39 pm

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 23 Sep 2008 7:58 pm

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Tue 23 Sep 2008 9:55 pm

Seriously Visplane, why are you still here? Since EDGE is just a stagnant port full of silly limitations, you should head on over to some other ports site and get yourself an engine which allows you to do some serious modding.

It's like those posts you used to see in ps2 forums, where you'd get trolls coming hanging around saying how much better xbox was, ps2 wasn't as good etc. I always used to ask myself "why the hell are they hanging around here telling people how bad the ps2 is? Why don't they piss off to an xbox forum then?"

Corbin, I don't think it's about the money at this stage: Andrew is just fed up with EDGE (same as DarkKnight before him).

Once a hobby turns into a chore, then it's not fun anymore and your motivation gets seriously affected. If, on top of all that, the only thing you can focus on are the requests for new stuff then you get even more demoralized.
Also, just for the record, I was the one who heckled Andrew to create the Feature Request forum, which he did even though he wasn't too keen on the idea.

Andrew, you SHOULD be proud: the actual release is the most solid EDGE to date in my book. Good job for sticking with it as long as you have!
P.S. It's true, You have been very cranky lately!
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

hungerfish

Postby hungerfish » Wed 24 Sep 2008 4:06 pm

Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Wed 24 Sep 2008 6:55 pm

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Wed 24 Sep 2008 8:06 pm

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Thu 25 Sep 2008 3:51 am

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 22 Jan 2009 4:30 pm

this is an old post, I'm trying to get up to speed on all that has happened. Edge for me has been very easy use, in places where is Zdoom wasn't. The lack of multiplayer has always kept me from considering this for a project. However to contradict myself, I've seen single player mods which are simply amazing! As for new features not being added, I'm sure someone else in time will get the ball rolling again in time.

I agree 100%, when something becomes a chore and not a hobby it's time to move on. Edge was the first port I ever came across which I really liked. You've done a great job updating it this long. Thank you. :)
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Return to “General Discussion”