EDGE 1.31 Test#2

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

andrewj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

EDGE 1.31 Test#2

Postby andrewj » Wed 16 Apr 2008 1:46 pm

A testing package for the lastest EDGE 1.31 binary is now available at the following site:

Normally I'd stick this in our SourceForge space, but that part of SF isn't working right now (and I'm so thrilled about that :evil:)

This package is not for wide-spread distribution, just for you guys to play with. I'm not going to news it on our own page or pimp it in any other forum.

CHANGES
+ Lua HUDs
+ fake slopes
- nicer looking console (big buggy)
- fixed colormapped sectors
- fixed thick extrafloors in QDoom
- fixed slowdown of invulnerability fade-out
! removed demo support
! removed CD music support

The manual for the Lua HUDs is included (Hud_manual.html).

The following are the linetypes for fake slopes:
[567] // EDGE Fake Slope : FLOOR
[568] // EDGE Fake Slope : CEILING
[569] // EDGE Fake Slope : FLOOR+CEILING

Put linetype [567] on the front line of a step and that step will get sloped down to meet the floor. Similarly for the ceiling one. There is a limitation of 16 vertical units, which is why they are called Fake slopes, so add more stairs to get around this limitation. Dynamic lighting is a little borked on them too. This description is way too brief, but I'm sure you'll get to grips with these little suckers just by playing around in a map editor.

Have fun :P

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Wed 16 Apr 2008 3:12 pm

No, not now! I have no access to my computer today :) ! Gotta test this tomorrow! Ajapted or lobo go to advertise this on Doomworld and Newdoom a bit later "EDGE: Now with SLOPES and LUA "

Ps. Writing this on my cellphone

And i really prefer MIHD.net as file host but I'm happy you did't use rapidshare :D . And could you post a screenshots of slopes in action?

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Wed 16 Apr 2008 5:01 pm

Excellent! I just got back today from being off-line for a couple of days.

Gonna give this a try tonight (if the wife and kids let me) :D
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Liberation
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Liberation » Wed 16 Apr 2008 6:17 pm

This is good stuff, well done chap :D

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Wed 16 Apr 2008 6:59 pm

Heres Napalm with,

Upgraded Hud, no armour and all 6 weapon ammo stats. Plus a small slope.

Nick_Perrin

Postby Nick_Perrin » Thu 17 Apr 2008 5:04 am

I recently installed a new sound card and with EDGE, both the last version and this new version, I'm getting INTENSELY jittery audio.

I think it's the soundcard - this thing seems to have been giving me problems lately. But in any case, here's the soundcard in question if it helps, supposed to be really kickass but it's having shitty problems:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/A ... -main.html

EDIT: WAIT! NO! I figured it out! An alternate driver used for a digital sound-capture program was somehow overtaking the real soundcard's driver as the default, making a whole wack of programs, not just EDGE, run slow!!
*ad*
Thanks to EDGE, I've uninstalled that crap and everything works great again now!
*ad*

Now it's time to test out the "fake" slopes!!

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Thu 17 Apr 2008 11:29 am

Oh, fuck yeah!

Can finally see all 16 ammo types!

Excellent stuff ajapted!
"Yar!" said the cow, who had been watching from afar...

Followed by "Allow that proverbial shit..."

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Thu 17 Apr 2008 4:57 pm

Orgasm.

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Thu 17 Apr 2008 11:30 pm

(false alarm)

Feel free to post issues you find in Test#2 here.

Bladesoftware

Postby Bladesoftware » Fri 18 Apr 2008 3:41 am

Well aren't I late to post. I just downloaded it and it kicks ass. Bugs... well the only bug I found are missing sliding doors, they still work is just that there are no textures presented.
If it means anything the engine seems to run smoother (could just be me). No filter in the automap (I never liked it anyway). Also if you can readd the option of selecting doom style shading, this is because it is a real hassle to have the brightness all the way up just to see ahead of you (that being QDoom).
:last note: Now I can start to xspand on my map desine.

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Fri 18 Apr 2008 12:06 pm

Look at my sexy hud! (Tomppa made me the code)

uAlso, errors :D

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Fri 18 Apr 2008 1:31 pm

if by 'errors' you mean the guys seem to float about the slopes, well, I'll think about a way of compensating for that.

Now that EDGE has user-definable huds, it's a good time to make a better overlay status hud. I was just going to copy every other port and have the little medikit and armor next to the numbers, HOWEVER, I reckon with all the modding talent at my disposal 8) we can do something much cooler, maybe even two (one with health bars instead of numbers). Start cranking out some ideas :!:

Lobo

Postby Lobo » Fri 18 Apr 2008 7:35 pm

, Lonely Meadows TC,

, DoomP.A.L.

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Fri 18 Apr 2008 8:03 pm

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Sat 19 Apr 2008 1:37 am

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Sat 19 Apr 2008 3:45 am

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Sat 19 Apr 2008 6:23 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Sat 19 Apr 2008 9:08 pm

I'm already getting my messy HUD shit from the last version of Fusion redrawn in LUA and it's looking pretty good. Have the player character silhouette that fills up according to damage. Take painkillers and the damage goes down ("bar" empties). It's filling up the entire drawn box and the image so I have to fix that. Other than that, going to start coding the Painkillers_Collected HUD stuff and that's it! Finally it won't look so shitty and will be able to pump out live, accurate results (as opposed to the scripted ones in the earlier versions).

Good job andy.

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Sun 20 Apr 2008 1:57 pm

I hope we get scripted menu with mouse navigation

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Sun 20 Apr 2008 11:07 pm

Yeah I though you'd be pretty thrilled Corbin, in relation to your health 'bar' and the new fuctionality.
I'm having a blast being able to actually use my own variables. Instead of having to write some intricate stuffs to display mission objectives or whatnot, I can use my own variables.
While we're spilling details, my new HUD has a mini map at the top right of the screen, and pressing tab toggles between displaying the map or mission objectives. I have no health bar or text, the only indicator is the screen fades red as damage is taken.
For ammunition display, only ammunition for weapons the player has picked up is displayed. Stops things from getting so cluttered with 16 or so ammo types on screen at once.

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Mon 21 Apr 2008 4:12 pm

*random interjection*

Oh noes!!

I've run into an inconvenient problem!

I can't get my new (craptacular) HUD to display 'reserve' ammo properly, that is, regarding clips. Basically, instead of having the number stay the same until I reload, it decreases along with the clip ammo...

Am I being thick, or is this a limitation of sorts?

I'm hoping it's me being thick :P

Liberation

Postby Liberation » Mon 21 Apr 2008 5:04 pm

Im having trouble getting my minimap to display, no matter what i do nothing shows up...

Joppu

Postby Joppu » Mon 21 Apr 2008 7:14 pm

Tomppa solved this problem for me (thank him) You have to draw the all ammo (player.main_ammo) then minus the clip size from it. (player.clip_size) remember to have show_clip false in the DDF.

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Mon 21 Apr 2008 8:56 pm

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Mon 21 Apr 2008 11:07 pm

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Mon 21 Apr 2008 11:12 pm

andrewj

Postby andrewj » Tue 22 Apr 2008 12:42 am

Dartmerc

Postby Dartmerc » Tue 22 Apr 2008 1:26 am

Corbin

Postby Corbin » Tue 22 Apr 2008 5:44 am

BaronOfStuff

Postby BaronOfStuff » Tue 22 Apr 2008 1:36 pm

Return to “General Discussion”