List of editing tools

Discuss anything EDGE-related that doesn't fall into the categories.

Moderators: andrewj, Corbin, Lobo

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lobo

List of editing tools

Postby Lobo » Tue 15 May 2007 10:02 am

Here's list of all those great little freeware programs one accumulates over the years as well as some docs and tutorials that come in handy when doing stuff for EDGE:

2d Graphic editing:
- Great free alternative to the big boys like PSP and Photoshop, and a lot less complicated than The Gimp. You've got layers and all that jazz too.

-Just as good as the Paint.NET, but I prefer this one for the interface.

Skyboxes:
- Incredible program to generate photo-realistic 3D terrain shots(sky and ground). Great for creating skyboxes for EDGE.

SFX/Audio Editing:
- simple little program that allows you to cut and paste sound (.wav, mp3 and Ogg), change formats, rates, add special effects and distortion etc. Unfortunately it is NOT capable of saving a Doom format .wav file (won't allow you to save as 8 bit) so you will need to use Windows Sound Recorder or some other proggy to convert the bit rate.

Compression/Zipping:
- freeware zipping program which can handle many formats, and is really FREE, not shareware like winzip with it's nag boxes and whatnot.

Level Editing:
- it's free and it's still being actively updated and maintained. Enough said.

Wad resources editing:
- as with Doom Builder the best thing about this tool is that it is still being updated and maintained, not like other tools of this type such as WinTex (that spanish guys version doesn't count for me).

Latest semi-official DDF Docs:
. They'll be getting updated soon to bring them up to RC5 status (currently at RC4).

Lobos EDGE Tutorials:
again. Lot's of mini tutorials/demos which include : Sliding doors, 3D Floors, Ladders, Breakable glass, RTS Menus, Patrolling Monster, OGG Vorbis music in EDGE, PNG/JPG Images in EDGE, Sniper rifle, Scripted Actors, Water (Swimmable), Boat, Freezer Gun and SkyBox.

Doom Armory Tutorials:
- Lot's of EDGE tutorials in this thread, though almost exclusively to do with weapon modding.

MD2 modelling:
Freeware - model editor.
Freeware - can display skins with any palette, but cannot play animations.
Freeware - can play animations but can only display Quake2 palette skins.
- Milkshape itself is not free, but there are some tutorials on modelling, as well as a free MD2 Viewer program.

That's it for now but more to come....
, Lonely Meadows TC,
, DoomP.A.L.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Thu 22 Jan 2009 5:41 pm

Image Analyzer is a good free program, it can import the doom pallet as well. If you want to stay true to the 256 color scheme...
http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/

I'm playing around with that Misfit model editor now, im seeing how it compares to programs Ive paid for.
www.tragos2d.com
My personal website, blog and home of my ventures in the study of game design.

Tragos

Postby Tragos » Mon 14 Sep 2009 2:47 am

http://baghead.drdteam.org/tools.xml

Here is another good program for messing around with the color palettes.
www.tragos2d.com

Tragos

Very useful program!

Postby Tragos » Wed 10 Feb 2010 4:57 pm

Saves the need for building a real sprite studio. I'm also thinking about buying their Terrain editor as well. Supports MD2 model format. Worth checking out for anyone interested in making sprites from 3d models.
www.tragos2d.com

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Discussion”